10Gallon Tank

For flow in a tank that size.I'd look at a couple of these.
Hydor Koralia Circulation Pump/Powerhead UL
I think 2 of the Nanos would be plenty of flow.

As for care of those corals.About all they need is good stable water quality,some flow,and light.

2 powerheads in a 10 Gallon tank; both at 400GPH? That seems... high doesn't it? :?

Sorry, it just seems like a lot to me, but again I'm new. So if everyone else agrees on that, then that's what I'll get. :D

Think about the current on a wild reef.
You've got to have enough flow to keep detritus in suspension and help in the gas exchange of the water.Plus the flow helps keep algae from being able to establish a foot hold.
As long as your sand is staying on the bottom,you dont have too much flow.
BTW
I just sat here and figured how much flow I have in my 125.
4-K4s @ 1200 GPH =4800GPH
3-K3s @ 850 GPH=2550GPH
For a grand total of 7350GPH
:D

You've got to have enough flow to keep detritus in suspension and help in the gas exchange of the water.Plus the flow helps keep algae from being able to establish a foot hold.
BTW
3-K3s @ 850 GPH=2550GPH

I don't think we're in Kansas anymore fishies!!!!! :D

BTW
3-K3s @ 850 GPH=2550GPH

Good point. Alrighty then! I'll be back with more questions a later on in the month. Thanks for all the help everyone!!!!!!!!

Wow! Those are really cool Biff! :mrgreen: Now I'm all excited about getting a tank started! :bounce:

Is there any specifics I should now about these corals? (ie: Feeding methods/habits, temperatures, etc.)

I would like to know specifically on the Torch, Frogspawn, Hairy Mushroom, and Zoanthid.

nothing terribly unusual about those corals, although you probaly can't keep both a torch and a frogspawn in a 10 gallon tank. They'll sting each other and really not be good for your tank, or each other.

I also noticed a type of coral (while looking at a local aquarium store by me known as Absolutely Fish) that you didn't mention Biff. One called an Elegant?

that would be an elegance. They get quite large. Probably not good in a nano

Oh... and sand... how do you know what type of sand to get?

aragonite sugar-sized sand is best.

And the Maxi-Jet powerheads; What GPH should I get, as they are all around the same price, but different speeds (160, 230, 295).

Sorry if all of these questions are getting annoying. :?

Thanks for all the help on this everyone! :D

Oh... also forgot to ask would the coral be fine in a 10 gallon tank? I am definitely using the 25 gallon as a Freshwater, as it's finally settled down.

What do I need first for the 10 gallon tank set-up? I want to do this right the first time, so not to kill anything.

you need 10-20 lbs of good live rock, about 10-15 lbs of sand, and some water. Before you get corals you'll need a light of some sort, and maybe a teeny tiny protein skimmer.

I had a 10G FOWLR and upgraded it to a 20G Long. The cost was almost the same and it holds more fish. If you are doing a 10 or 20G FOWLR tank I don't think it will be a whole lot of trouble. BUT a 10 or 20G reef tank will be a lot of work.

you need 10-20 lbs of good live rock, about 10-15 lbs of sand, and some water. Before you get corals you'll need a light of some sort, and maybe a teeny tiny protein skimmer.

Hrm ok, then I'll probably cut out the frogspawn and stick with the torch. Unless someone recommends otherwise? :?

Any light recommendation for a 10Gallon/20"W tank?

And the sand you recommended only comes in a 30lb bag... Guess that leaves room for expansion though. :mrgreen:

Is live rock something I should get at local aquarium stores or should I try to pick it up elsewhere?

Protein skimmer suggestion and do I need it? Or is it just something that is recommended?

lol and yes I meant Elegance... I was looking at it, and noticed I made the spelling mistake. Just never corrected it, stupid me. :rofl:

Last edited:
Hrm ok, then I'll probably cut out the frogspawn and stick with the torch. Unless someone recommends otherwise? :?

Any light recommendation for a 10Gallon/20"W tank?

Aquarium Lighting for Reef Systems: Current Nova Extreme Pro Saltwater T-5 Fixtures

And the sand you recommended only comes in a 30lb bag... Guess that leaves room for expansion though. :mrgreen:

Is live rock something I should get at local aquarium stores or should I try to pick it up elsewhere?

an LFS would be good if the rock looks good, and doesn't stink, and is fully cured. Otherwise check online sources, but expect to wait longer for the cycle to complete.

Protein skimmer suggestion and do I need it? Or is it just something that is recommended?

Recommended, but not required in a 10gallon.

lol and yes I meant Elegance... I was looking at it, and noticed I made the spelling mistake. Just never corrected it, stupid me. :rofl:

hope this helps.

Found out that my LFS has a protein skimmer for around $50. Their jets are overpriced at the moment ($50 for a Hydor 1 - $25 online), and they have new LED lights instead of the T5s (but still around the same price).

LR from my LFS is $9.99/LB. :grumble: $2.00/LB online... Hrm... :frustrat:

Oh... and I applied for a job with my LFS, since I don't have one atm. :mrgreen: Thinking of applying at Petco too as they apparently have openings.

Just an update, I noticed on the light fixtures box that I just got (it said Coral Life) on it, that it's in fact a T5 fixture! HOWEVER, it is meant for freshwater fish & plants.

Oceanic Systems | Products | Freshwater Aqualight T5 Series - Double Linear Strip

I have the 24" Version. If someone could recommend a bulb replacement that I could in fact use for coral, then I would get that.

Also, does anyone have any experience with Petco's Powerheads?

PETCO Power Head at PETCO

If you do, how do they hold up vs a "name-brand" one?

I dont think those lights will be enough for corals even with replacing the bulbs.You really need at least 4 bulbs.
Those powerheads will work.Anything that moves the water on that one.Just dont how long they'll last since I've never used them.

Ok, so I need a 4 bulb T5? Darn... and I thought I could get off cheap... :grumble: Ummm... does anyone know of the new LED ones? My LFS offers them for a lower price than the T5s (I think). It's like $119.99USD for an 18-24" LED Light.

And that was what I was worried about... The durability of the "PETCO" version of a powerhead, over a name-brand. I don't want it to die on me 4 months into using it... And they have one for 20-40gallon tanks and another for 40-60gallon tanks. The price difference is about 3 dollars... When I go to the store I will see what the difference is in Flow Rate for the 20-40 and 40-60.

LEDs are supposed to be the next big thing in reef lights.Do you have the name brand of the ones your store is carrying?

Do you have the name brand of the ones your store is carrying?

Marineland is the LED Supplier's name I believe. You can actually find the supposedly reef-safe ones online for about $80 in the 18-24" version. :D That's great news for me!

Last edited:
Back