12 Gallon Nano Cube

Percula

Reefing newb
We are considering switching our freshwater 12 gallon Nano to a reef. Was thinking of keeping a clown or two, an anemone, and not sure what else. Is it possible to keep two perculas in a 12 gallon?

yes...but don't get them till after cycling the tank for at least a month, and don't get the anemone till a year later

You probably don't have enough light in the nano to keep an anemone. They require a lot more light than most corals.

You can have the two clowns, but I'd recommend substituting something else for the anemone. If you're looking for something that the clowns will host, hairy mushrooms are a good alternative.

12g... don't get a nem, imo. try getting some sort of LPS such as a torch coral, which are frequently hosted by clowns, look exactly the same if you don't know what you're looking at, and are much easier to keep.

i still don't understand this arbitrary dating thing that makes people come up with a 1 year date for getting nems. i would say it has more to do with ability as a hobbyist (as in people new to the hobby usually don't have a good enough set up or enough knowledge on aquariums until they've been tinkering in the hobby for a year or so, not that it takes a year to build up stability ;P)

I can speak from very recent personal experience. Do not put an anemone in the nano. You def don't have enought light for it. I have a 14gal Biocube and had a BTA in it. Well after 3 weeks it started too look like it was about to die. I gave it to a friend of mine a few days ago to rehab. So far it's not looking good. I also would not go with more than 2 fish in the tank. My LFS told me it was fine to keep 4-6 fish in a 14gal, but that's just not the case. My levels were never stable and my nitrates were always through the roof. Now I'm down to 2 fish (clown & sixline wrasse) and my trates are still a bit high. Also, do weekly water changes w/ RODI water which will help keep the tank more stable. I've learned a lot of the great people on this forum. Good luck!

Back