120 Gallon

613ReefGuy

Reefing newb
Before one project finishes.....Its on to the next one. Picked up the 120 Gallon (60x18x26). I had it drilled, and a coast to coast installed. Also have some nice screw in screens for the bulkhead, easy to clean and no snails can get caught in the pipes (not available for my 65 gallon unfortunately)

I know many people are going to say I am moving too quickly in getting another tank, but this one is going to be a long time before I have it up and running. I really want a couple of blue ribbon eels, so I am going to build a very big acrylic box that will have their pipe playgrond down below. This will then give me an even level on the top for my rock, and I will keep it an inch from each side, so that it doesnt require a ton of sand just to cover the pipes....but you cant see them since the sides of the box and top will be covered. Where the pipes come out, I plan to wrap the pipes like I did with my return pipes on the 65 gallon. The objective is to make it look as though an eel went into a cave. Might be dumb or unneccessary, but I like the vision.

Like I said, it will be a long time before much gets done with this. I might get started on some things during the 65 gallon cycle.

Attachments

• 120 Gallon.jpg
    120 Gallon.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 1,361
  • Bulkhead screen.jpg
    Bulkhead screen.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 1,199
Dont worry! Many of us end up grading or getting another tank shortly after starting the hobby! Its like an addiction!

But, i will warn you about the ribbon eels. They are very hard to get eating in captivity, so make sure you see them eat before you buy them. Also they are super aggressive fish. I wanted to get a couple also but i couldnt find any fish that wouldnt try and eat so i ended up not getting them. They are also escape artists, a tight fitting is a must!

That being said, i think that tank would make an awesome eel only tank! I dont know much about this, but perhaps you could try mixing eel species to try and get another fish they wont eat.

Don't feel too guilty. I went from a 55g to a 90g to a 180g in a year.

The 55g never even ended up getting fish in it before I upgraded.

There is no such thing as a dumb idea in your hobby. That's what makes this hobby what it is. To replicate yur visons. Cool start from an awesome idea! Nothing wrong with getting a head start.

Just wanted to bump this up a bit so it will be easy to find later.

The update is.....we are moving so there wont be any water hitting this for awhile, but once we get settled in I want to move forward as quickly as possible with this tank.

Back