120G or 120G Long

120G Or 120G long

• 120G 48x24

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • 120G long 60x18

Votes: 15 88.2%

• Total voters
Not to hijack the thread, but why aren't you convinced about the algae scrubber? It's an OLD technique and a lot of people have had success with them.

Well, since you guys would like me to post it here, I will. And again, this is only my opinion on the scrubbers, not to say they are good, bad or indifferent.

1) I think they are ugly. I would rather look at anything other than a sheet of algae growing in my cabinet.
2) I don't feel they are any better than a good quality protein skimmer.
3) Other than the hobbists, I have not seen any used in a major Aquarium such as Monterey Bay Aquarium, Steinhart Aquarium, Maui Ocean Center Aquarium. If these systems, that are run by marine biologist don't use them I can't see a reason for me to.
4) I have actually seen a scrubber manufactuered by Santa Monica (held it in my hands), and let's just say I was less than impressed.
5) They take up way too much space, and take much longer to clean than a skimmer collection cup.
6) I have never seen one used in any LFS I have ever been to, and I have been to hundreds.

I do see the draw though. I know from talking to people that they do what they are supposed to. I know they are cheaper to make, than to actually go out and buy a top brand, good quality skimmer. However, I also run bio pellets. And my water is clean enough that I draw all 0's on my tests, even after the amount of fish and coral feeding I do during a 2 week period.

Here is my last test results after almost 3 weeks between water changes.
test.jpg

So I clean my collection cup when I do a water change. My bio pellets run for months at a time without having to be replaced.

Good points, but if you're starting a tank, building an algae scrubber to use for some time until want to upgrade or get the money to buy a skimmer is a good option.

Hey Fast, thanks for the arguments - I think a lot of your points are good.

Yeah, they are ugly and also, in my opinion, they use more electricity than a skimmer (lights + pump). I think it's similar to the LED vs. MH argument - like a lot of things in the hobby, there are many ways to skin (skim? haha) a cat and advantages and disadvantages to both.

The ATS does take more time put in to it and a little more hands-on maintenance than a skimmer. What I like about it is that it treats the ammonia/phosphate/nitrates directly instead of treating the food/particles that rot into ammonia. It's also a great source for pods.

And large facilities do use ATS - such as the Smithsonian facility in Ft Pierce, the Waikiki aquarium & the Great Barrier aquarium in Australia.

The ATS does take more time put in to it and a little more hands-on maintenance than a skimmer. What I like about it is that it treats the ammonia/phosphate/nitrates directly instead of treating the food/particles that rot into ammonia. It's also a great source for pods.

And large facilities do use ATS - such as the Smithsonian facility in Ft Pierce, the Waikiki aquarium & the Great Barrier aquarium in Australia.

Well like I said, I really don't want to sway anyones decision on installing one and trying it.

As for the treating of the Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and Phosphates.....................did you see the test results I posted from the bio-pellets? Same thing, but I don't clean the reactor on a weekly basis. As for the great source for pods, I can see that to a certain extent. I mean, you are scrapping off and throwing away the algae every week. How many pods are going with that? You can just add a ball of Chaeto to help breed pods, it lives off of Nitrates and Phospahates and you don't throw it away. You mearly cut it down and sell it.

I was unaware of the 3 aquariums you mentioned. In fact, I just had Charles Delbeek at our April club meeting. If you don't know who he is, he is a Senior Biologist at the San Francisco Steinhart Aquarium. In his capacity at the Waikiki Aquarium, Charles has been part of the exhibit design team and has contributed to several award winning exhibits and conservation programs (Bean Award 2003, M.A.C.E. Award 2003, M.A.C.E. Award 1999) including live coral and giant clam exhibits, freshwater planted aquaria, cephalopod exhibits, marine fish exhibits as well as holding and research systems for corals and clams.

If he tells me he alone is responsible for cleaning an 11 foot tall skimmer for the aquarium, that's all I need to hear.

Again, I think there are choices to get to the end product of a healthy reef tank. I though, do not think that the Algae Scrubber is a choice for me. Others swear by them, and have the tanks to show for them. I say more power to em. I am not right and they are wrong, or vice versa, the majority of the tanks on each side prove that.

I think bio-pellets are pretty cool - I didn't see the test results, are they in your build thread? (I'll take a look) I don't know much about that system at all, and I'd definitely be interested in hearing more about it.

A bunch of a chaeto would have a similar effect for pods, but it's not as efficient as an ATS. I used to run a lot of chaeto in a fuge and I had tons of pods.

I'm jealous you got to have him at a meeting - that must have been pretty interesting.

Yeah, I'm all for trying new things and experimenting - I think it's one of my favorite part of the hobbies. I'll definitely be posting my results with my scrubber, and if it doesn't end up being for me, I'll be the first to admit it!

I think bio-pellets are pretty cool - I didn't see the test results, are they in your build thread? (I'll take a look) I don't know much about that system at all, and I'd definitely be interested in hearing more about it.

Yeah, look for the sticky under "Water Chemistry".

A bunch of a chaeto would have a similar effect for pods, but it's not as efficient as an ATS. I used to run a lot of chaeto in a fuge and I had tons of pods.

Was thinking mainly for growing out the pods

I'm jealous you got to have him at a meeting - that must have been pretty interesting.

Seriously a great guy to hear speak. He was very entertaining, and humorous as well.

Yeah, I'm all for trying new things and experimenting - I think it's one of my favorite part of the hobbies. I'll definitely be posting my results with my scrubber, and if it doesn't end up being for me, I'll be the first to admit it!

I am sure there are just as many people that would say or have the same amount of arguments about bio pellets. That's why I said I wasn't sold on them, I found and chose what is for me a much easier, less time consuming way of running my tank. That in itself allows me to enjoy the hobby that much more.

Back