175g Deep Sea tank

Are your main drain still under water slightly when the overflow goes down to the water line ???? and are they even ???? If its over the water line when the water line drops then the syphon is being broken there and air is going in then down fasing should be slightly under the overflow box ridges that way they should remain under water slightly when the water drains down.

Also do your 2 main drains connect at the bottom before going into the sump ???? if they do then they will defenetly need to be at the same height. Also noticed one of the vinyl tubes hanging over the sump. are they hanging like that or actually in the water ???

Last edited:
Not 100% positive on this as I do not use a durso standpipe on my setup but i think just about all of the ones i have seen have a pvc "T" at the top, and a cap with a hole drilled into it for the top of the T, this helps the water siphon back down otherwise i would imagine an air bubble forming a pocket in the pipe reducing the amount of water allowed to flow. with your setup, i see just 2 elbows... That could be your problem, replace the elbow attached to the stand pipe with a t and cap it off.

both drains are even and about 1/2" below the water line. the water will drain completely out of both and traps the air when it fills back up. After reading Buddy's reply now I understand why they have the T with the cap. Does this allow enough air to get trapped in the top and leave enough room for the siphon to resume? I did a test last night where I pulled the downward elbow off completely...didn't work...it sucked in too much air.

Almost to the end except for adding the lights which were ordered tonight. Still need to work on the rocks and do some touch up painting.

Attachments

• 100_1480.jpg
    100_1480.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 343
Maybe they need to be lower so that ones it starts filling up the overflow again the water can rise over the elbow into the down pipe and not still have all that air traped in it.

Ah, OK. Well, you need to check to see if the wall is load bearing. Luckily mine wasn't. If it is it's going to be much more expensive to hire someone to come in and put in support beams. I did all the work myself. Below are approximate costs. Yours would depend completely on the equipment you go with.
Tank - $990
Wood for stand - $75
Sump - i found a 110g tank on Craig's list for $150
Glass to partition sump - $70
150 lbs BRS eco rock - $350
16 - 20lb bags of sand - $275
PVC and supplies - $150
Return pump - $160
2 - MP40w ES powerheads - $920
Battery back up for powerheads - $160
RO/DI unit - $199 (I bought this when I bought my first tank in March)
Skimmer - $300 (got it on sales 25% off at LFS cust appreciation sale)
20lbs live rock to help start cycle - $160
3 AI Vega Color LED's & remote controller & rails / hanging kit - $1750 (going to buy material to hang the lights this weekend...lights should be delivered Mon or Tues)
Paid to have someone rip up the carpet and tack strips and haul away - $100
Vinyl flooring - $160
Tunze ATO - $206
Heater - $35
Trim around tank - $40
So...about $5800 so far and still a few items on my wish list. I've done all the work myself except the trimwork and having 3 friends help put the tank on the stand. You can see the majority of the cost is just in the equipment. Building the stand and cutting the hole in the wall took me about 8-12 hrs total over about 3 days.

Ah, OK. Well, you need to check to see if the wall is load bearing. Luckily mine wasn't. If it is it's going to be much more expensive to hire someone to come in and put in support beams. I did all the work myself. Below are approximate costs. Yours would depend completely on the equipment you go with.
Tank - $990
Wood for stand - $75
Sump - i found a 110g tank on Craig's list for $150
Glass to partition sump - $70
150 lbs BRS eco rock - $350
16 - 20lb bags of sand - $275
PVC and supplies - $150
Return pump - $160
2 - MP40w ES powerheads - $920
Battery back up for powerheads - $160
RO/DI unit - $199 (I bought this when I bought my first tank in March)
Skimmer - $300 (got it on sales 25% off at LFS cust appreciation sale)
20lbs live rock to help start cycle - $160
3 AI Vega Color LED's & remote controller & rails / hanging kit - $1750 (going to buy material to hang the lights this weekend...lights should be delivered Mon or Tues)
Paid to have someone rip up the carpet and tack strips and haul away - $100
Vinyl flooring - $160
Tunze ATO - $206
Heater - $35
Trim around tank - $40
So...about $5800 so far and still a few items on my wish list. I've done all the work myself except the trimwork and having 3 friends help put the tank on the stand. You can see the majority of the cost is just in the equipment. Building the stand and cutting the hole in the wall took me about 8-12 hrs total over about 3 days.

thanks a lot man, ill be doing all of the work myself. ive just got to read up on tanks and all the maint. work. ive only had a 20 gallon fw tank before this

Kinda same here. I've always had fresh water tanks. I bought a 28g nano in March and got hooked. I had a 120g set up with angels and other tropical fish and decided I wanted to convert to a reef tank. The original tank couldn't be drilled so I sold it and this is the results! :-)

I'm afraid not. I personally wouldn't put a shark in anything smaller than 500 gallons... and they need a very open sandbed.

Yeah... a lot of the websites can't really be trusted. liveaquaria is the best one... and they have sharks listed at 300 minimum which I still don't agree with.

Back