1st Time Coral?

jayb123

Reefing newb
I am currently running a 55 gallon tank with 75lbs of rock, sump/skimmer, 2 powerheads, sufficeint lighting. I am looking to try out some inexpensive soft corals for the first time. Any suggestions on what would be a good starter for my setup?

What kind of lights is ''sufficient light''?That will help us determine what corals do best.

For now your system is still maturing.My suggestion is some mushrooms,zoathids and GSP(green star polyps).

Biff toss a Kenya in an envalope Ship it to the guy !
Im shure it will thrive .

I agree with all the above " depending on the lights"
GSP Great starter and Kenyas are to.

I could neglect my kenya tree forever and it would still continue to split. its like the rabbit of corals.... and I'm sure yote will tell you DO NOT GET ONE :)

Star polyp are one of the tuffest corals IMO. I got pink ones and they grow soooo fast. If you lived closer I give you a buch of it. I went into petco the other day and the guy who works there asked about my tank. I told him what corals I had and he wanted to buy xenia so I gave him a big frag and a good size chunk of PSP. Always good to have friends at a LFS.

I have also been told several times that you could ship them two day ship just rolled in wet newspaper. I havn't tried the wet news paper, just regular shipping and they are pretty tuff.

green star polyps and yellow star polyps are great first corals, as are most leathers (toadstool, finger, etc). I would also get a variety of mushrooms (blue, orange, red, green striped, etc).

FYI, the kenya tree (capinella) I added just the other day was ritualistically abused by all my angelfish. They took turns ripping the SNOT out of it. It currently lay at mangled at the bottom of the tank, but there is one piece that has buds and may pull through. If it does, I will consider them the Lazerus of corals.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

I started out with green stripe mushrooms and zome zoa frags. One of my larger mushroms already slimed out and started another all by itself.

I lost a colony of zoas due to infestation of parasites. Flushed them before it had a chance to spread around my tank. I hope--fingers crossed.

A did get a small frag of SPS Acropora Green and placed it high in the tank in direct flow of a powerhead. It's going like nuts. :bounce:

I'm using 130w of PC lights in a 24" deep tank.

If you want fast growing weeds,then by all means a kenya weed is the right choice.I have yet to find a way to kill a kenya weed.And trust me,Ive tryed.

Xenias are kinda wierd.Some people have good luck and can grow them.Some tanks the xenias just die out..

Back