20 gal. long!

Newbs64

Go Oilers!
So I originally bought a 29g tall, then went to petco the other day and ran into their Sale! So I picked up a 20 gal. Long tank and took the 29 back. I am currently waiting on a few pieces of equipment to arrive and equipment to buy. Went to my Lfs and bought a hob filter and 20lbs. Of dry rock. I'm planning on doing amphitheater style with my aquascape. Last night I ordered my powerheads, bought 2- hydor koralria 425gph pumps. This weekend I will be getting lighting. I'm planning on getting the marineland reef capable leds. Does anyone recommend any different led fixtures in that $200 price range? My other question is my tank is about 31" long will the 24" to 36" fixture work? I've read a little bit about fixtures that say that big don't actually reach that far. I would appreciate any opinions ANY seeing how I'm new to saltwater. Thanks:^:

Reefbreeders.com has a $179 fixture perfect for that tank. Doing great over Mitch's tank right now, hopefully after I'm all moved ill be looking at one, too. Definitely better than anything Marineland has.

Reefbreeders.com has a $179 fixture perfect for that tank. Doing great over Mitch's tank right now, hopefully after I'm all moved ill be looking at one, too. Definitely better than anything Marineland has.

I will check those out. I appreciate it.

This is a picture of my tank currently.not a whole lot going on. Just thought I would show you guys thus far. Not too sure of my aquascape so far, this is all dry rock for now. I'm just waiting now to get the rest of what I need.

I had a marineland LED fixture on my 20 gal long. I had a hard time with corals, I would recommend going a different route. That fixture is my sump light now.

I had a marineland LED fixture on my 20 gal long. I had a hard time with corals, I would recommend going a different route. That fixture is my sump light now.

Thank you for telling me that. I read a lot last night on those LEDs that reefbreeders make I think I'm gonna go that route I haven't seen one bad review on them.

I always thought of a lot of marineland stuff as crap that's only for freshwater tanks, seems cheap to me, just my opinion though. I don't know much about LED fixtures, I have a T5 fixture myself, but I'm sure eventually lighting will be mostly LED as they get cheaper and cheaper. Tank looks good so far :)

I appreciate it kenbo. I'm gonna take a shot at the reef breeders value led fixture. Good price and reviews so I'm gonna run with it. I figure b4 too long LEDs will be the must have. Haha just don't want to have to change bulbs so going led.

So today I made a little progress I ordered this on/off switch rack for all my equipment. Super excited to get it!

I also received my HOB filter and power heads in the mail today. I bought two Hydor Koralia 425 models. The HOB filter is a Marineland Emperor 280. Planning on putting rock rubble in it and carbon bags if needed or recommended.

Not too happy with the way the power heads arrived tested both and there fine.

Last edited:
I also ordered my lighting today! I took your advise and got the reef breeder value LED fixture. Called and talked to the owner about how high to hang it. He recommended 8" off the water would be perfect for my tank. Great guy and very friendly and helpful.

Lol I think everyone is on vacation this week.

Your going to get nice flow with those pumps. Are you putting them on a wave maker?

No wave maker in the plans maybe in the future. I actually meant to order two 240 models and ended up clicking on the wrong model. I found out that after they had already shipped. I think they won't be too bad.

That sure is a lot of flow lol :p. Nice lights too! What's your stocking list again?

Yea will be pretty good flow! Hopefully not too much, seen another 20gal. Long with same pump set up. I will let you know how they do. Super excited for the lights to arrive. As far as the stock list, I plan to get a pair of clowns and small chance of a goby. Corral I will stay with easier ones at first. Some leathers, zoas, and shrooms. Not gonna rush anything though so plans may change.

Hmm? Must be a horrible thread.
Often times no one comments on my 75 build thread either lol.

Nice LED fixture, wish I had one for my 75, but I already have a 6 bulb T5 fixture, maybe sometime down the road though. :) Looking forward to seeing more progress with your tank.

So my wife found a table she wanted to put the tank on. I like it a lot just kind of wondering about the wires. Last night put the black background on. We used a water and Sapp solution seeing how tape wouldn't keep it tight. Pu my power heads in and my HOB filter. I glued this rock piece together with gorilla gel super glue. I will add live rock to that once we get ready for go on the start up. Believe me I can't wait. Haha

Back