27 cube? I think yes!

slm32123

Reefing newb
Well here we go starting ANOTHER tank... Time to bore you all with a story! That's right kiddos! It's story time!!!!!!

This one was too good of a deal to pass up! It started like this, I have been going to this LFS for the past year and a half about. And the owner is a great guy, every time I go in there we stand around an BS for a good hour or so, then after that, it's all business... Whenever I come in he asks me what I am taking home today because he knows I always get something when I come in.

So Sunday I called him up to ask how late they were open. His response? "How late do you want me to stay open for ya?" So I instantly hopped in my car to go check out what I would get a deal on that day. Now I have been looking at getting like a nano-cube, or any cube tank for that matter, for the past couple weeks. And to my surprise when I went in he had a sale on 2 cube setups. One was a 37 gallon with stand, glass top, and Marineland Reef Capable LED fixture for only $329! The other was the same thing but a 27 gallon tank for $309!!!! So after talking to him for a little bit, he said he would do $279 for me on the 27 gallon set up. Sadly I didn't have enough money... :( However, I did some thinking and asked what he could do for me without the stand since I didn't really need one, seeing as how I could either find a strong table at the house to put it on, or build a stand with spare lumber around the house. He told me he could do $220 out the door for the tank and light. So of course I busted out my silver tongue abilities of haggling (thanks for that pops!) and talked him down to $190! So I paid him, keep in mind that light on most websites is $190 before shipping, and started out the door with the tank. After loading it into my car and just about to pull out of the parking lot he comes running out of the store with a bag and opens the back of my car and sets it in saying you forgot something! Of course I was surprised and said thanks, assuring him I would be back after the cycle finished for some LR and a couple starter fishes.

After getting the tank into the basement and on its "stand" I began gathering the equipment I planned to use and started to set it up. Then I remembered! The bag of free goodies! After rushing to the car and bringing the bag inside I opened it and started pulling stuff out. The First things I pulled out were various Kent Marine supplements like iodide, calcium, strontium and molybdenum, zooplex, and lastly essential minerals. Then at the bottom I noticed a thin cardboard box. I stared at it for a little pondering and trying to guess what it was, just like at Christmas time. Then I realized what it was, so in a severe moment of joy I pulled it out and opened it up to find the glass top!!!

So basically I paid $190 for a 27 gallon cube, Marineland Reef Capable fixture, glass top for the cube, and 5 bottles of various Kent Marine supplements! Man that guy is awesome!

Now, back to business of the tank... I forgot to take pictures before I started putting it all together, but basically I am using the old CPR skimmer from my 35 gallon hexagon, the powerhead from my 10 gallon nano that pumps up to 300gph (I think I should get another one?), a heater I had around, and a thermometer I already had. Also I used my leftover black sand from my 75 gallon start up.

About 3 hours ago I threw in a table shrimp to kick off the cycle, so now we get to play the waiting game. Luckily we are all used to it by now!

Hahaha great story! I'm gonna be working part time for my lfs manager so I say he gives me a good deal so I can start another tank! Lol

Hey guys so I know you wanted pictures but you guys aren't going to get them... Because all of these updates are going to be videos!!!! I hope this link will work.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti29b_Y8fGw&feature=youtube_gdata_player]‪27 cube day 1: The cycle is initiated‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks a ton guys! I made another video yesterday afternoon that I will upload sometime today. Here's a hint to what is in the videos. Results... Lemme know if you guys can guess what the results are of! Before watching of course!

Uploading the latest video to youtube ask I post this message. after it is uploaded and good to go, I will post the link on here again and let ya all have a look again!

Ok guys here is day 2. And you all should definitely subscribe to my channel!
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl32Z8Uyip0&feature=youtube_gdata_player]‪27 Cube Day 2: Ammonia Spike‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

So I have decided that it's time to start deciding on my livestock list. Here is what I am thinking so far.

Fish: First- 2-4 Chromis to make sure everything is good. (Either black axil or blue reef)
Second- Diamond Watchman Goby
Third- Whatever my girlfriend thinks is cute that will go well in the tank
Last- Some kind of Flasher Wrasse

Inverts: 2 Fire Shrimps

Corals: First- GSP
Second- 2 or 3 types of zoas
Third- Candy Cane
Fourth- Frogspawn
Fifth- 1 or 2 Acans
Sixth- Possibly a Sun Coral (not sure which color)
Seventh through Tenth- SPS corals that you guys suggest

Well, what do you guys think about the list? Yes I know I didn't include a CUC

Sounds good to me, but i dont know about sun corals, very hard to keep from what i have heard, alot of dedication to feeding, but im sure if your up for that you'll be good.

Back