28 gal AquaEuro Tank for $110...good deal?

laura-jean

friend to the fish
Hi fishy friends. I wanted to ask your opinion on something.

I found what seems to be a pretty good deal on a tank on craigslist.

Salt Water Fish Tank

He posted this a couple weeks ago and he still has the tank available and he said he needs it gone ASAP, so I figure I might be able to haggle for a lower price. Not sure if it has a lid or lights though. I'm waiting for a response on that question.

Whaddya think?

Am I better off with a 28 gal vs. a 10 gal? Easier maintenance?

It would be nice to use the 10 gal for frags/emergency tank...

28 gallon will be much easier. The larger the tank, the less work to keep water parameters stable. More water volume = More room for error.

Biff is right. I started with a 10 gallon and it was just too hard to maintain without diligent water changes so I moved up to a 32 gallon and it was much much easier. I would start with something around 50 gallons if I were to do it all over again.

He's going to sell it to me for $60 :D :D :D that's a deal!!!!

Starting with a 50 gal would just be too big for my home at this point of time. My dad is still convinced that I am going to kill everything I put in the tank because his friend couldn't keep one up. Once I show him I can keep up the 28 gal, I think he'll be more inclined to let me get a big tank for the living room. One with a stand and a sump and all kinds of nice things for the more advanced fish-keeper. :)

I'm going to go get it tomorrow afternoon. I'll post pictures.

How do I go about taking my ten gallon and putting everything in the 28 gallon?

That won't be too hard -- get yourself some 5-gallon buckets from Home Depot or Lowe's, and just set up your rocks how you want them in the new tank. Then move your sand over. While you are doing this, keep your fish and inverts in the 5 gallon buckets with the water from the 10-gallon tank (you may have to remove the rocks first to catch the fish). Then re-use your old water, and top off the new tank with new water.

Thanks biff, that's very helpful! Doesn't sound too hard either.

And I hope I can prove him wrong. He'll still be stubborn about it, but whatever :P

:bowdown: You can do it!!! :bowdown:
Don't forget the pictures. We like pictures, so don't forget about the pictures. Oh, did I mention anything about pictures?

Getting out of my 12 gallon Aquapod and into a 28 gallon JBJ can I just switch everything over or should I cycle the new tank first and then switch? Can't stand any loss of life so I want to do it right...How much total rock should I have? I was going with 20 Lbs. live sand and build up from there. Should I use the millle rear as a refugium? And with two discharges where in the heck should I put the skimmer? Is this more then a weekend project? Am I nuts for trying this? My fish and seahorse need new digs

You can just switch it over -- use your old sand, rock and water, and top off the tank with new saltwater. This way, you should avoid a cycle. You should have between 1 and 2 lbs of rock per gallon, so 30 to 60 pounds. You can use what you have now, and slowly add more rock. You can get this done a weekend, no problem!

Back