28 gallon JBJ nano startup.

Pilotkev55

Reefing newb
I got the aquarium used , it's in wonderful shape. I got about 15 pounds of live rock that has been out of water for a month. LFS says the purple color is still there and it should come back to life. I bought the water and live substrate from them. Filled the tank up started the power heads and lights . Everything is running good after 24 hours. The water is still a little cloudy, I hope that is normal. I haven't put anything else in. I'm wondering if I need a shrimp to get the cycle going or will the live rock be ok even though its been out of water for a month? The water is at 79 degrees, salinity looks good. I'm running the lights as well. When should I make the initial water test for ammonia ? I have a master test kit for saltwater as well. I'm thinking about doing an ammonia test today sometime. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance

Kevin

Welcome aboard Kevin! Yep, you might as well do the ammonia test. Couldn't hurt. If it shows no ammonia, throw in a piece of raw shrimp to get your cycle started. :)

Thank you, that's what I did. It read slightly green color so think there is a little ammonia because of what may be on the live rock. I put some shrimp in and I will test it every other day. I think is right.
Thanks for the info

Kevin

I got the aquarium used , it's in wonderful shape. I got about 15 pounds of live rock that has been out of water for a month. LFS says the purple color is still there and it should come back to life. I bought the water and live substrate from them. Filled the tank up started the power heads and lights . Everything is running good after 24 hours. The water is still a little cloudy, I hope that is normal. I haven't put anything else in. I'm wondering if I need a shrimp to get the cycle going or will the live rock be ok even though its been out of water for a month? The water is at 79 degrees, salinity looks good. I'm running the lights as well. When should I make the initial water test for ammonia ? I have a master test kit for saltwater as well. I'm thinking about doing an ammonia test today sometime. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance

Kevin

Welcome to the salty side, IMO I would grab a little more rock. The cloudy part will pass its normal after adding new substrate. I would just get one raw uncooked shrimp from publix or where ever and get your cycle started. Good Luck.

If the rock has been dry for a month, it is no long live, its just dry rock. You should get some actual live rock and do toss in the piece of shrimp to get the cycle going.

It might also be good to look for a new LFS if they sold you that rock at a higher price because it was "live", or at the very least be very wary of what they tell in the future. In general, its best to take any LFS advice with a grain of salt and to verify the information independently. Many stores have mislead people into buying equipment they didnt need or fish/corals that they couldnt properly care for.

No I didn't get the dry rock from a fish store, I got it from the person I bought the tank from . the tank has a A fresh raw shrimp also. I also Bought some more pieces of good live rock that is in the tank as well. My substrate is live sand as well. I was told that doing that would help get the other rock up to speed eventually. The LFS told me if I took a knife and scraped off some small particles of the live rock algae it would migrate around the tank a little and become established wherever it ends up.

Last edited:
The tank is much clearer then it was this morning also, it looks really nice.its been up and running for maybe 30 hours is all.

Don't expect anything fast lol, it took my rock about 6 months before I saw any real changes as far as algae growth. But, just so you know, this thread is worthless without pics!!!! :p We love pictures here on LR :).

Also, glad to see another fellow Biocuber :)

No I didn't get the dry rock from a fish store, I got it from the person I bought the tank from . the tank has a A fresh raw shrimp also. I also Bought some more pieces of good live rock that is in the tank as well. My substrate is live sand as well. I was told that doing that would help get the other rock up to speed eventually. The LFS told me if I took a knife and scraped off some small particles of the live rock algae it would migrate around the tank a little and become established wherever it ends up.

Very true!

Back