29 Gallon nOOb tank!

AmberSunrise

Reef enthusiast
Ok here it goes this tank was started Jan 1, 2011 any and all advice is welcomed!!

29g) marineland cube with stand
15lb) live rock (which included 2 bonus white sponges woohoo)
20lb) live sand
2) koralia nano power heads (425gph each)
1) 3 stage aqua clear power filter for up to 50g wich cycle guard
1) stealth pro heater

I am using RO ready made water from my local store (LFS??)

liverock1.jpg
liverock2.jpg

Water paramaters have been checked about every day because I like the practice of how long to shake and wait and how many drops etc.

Days 1-5 were uneventful so I threw in a half of a bottom feeder wafer which contains shrimp and krill and let it dissolve over night. The next day I had a white sponge materialize in the spot where the wafer was! You might be able to see him on this pic

Sponge1.jpg

Day 6-8
ammonia .50 ppm
Nitrate 10ppm
Nitrite 0

Day 9-11
ammonia .25ppm
Nitrate 5ppm
Nitrite still 0

Day 12 (today)
ammonia 0ppm
Nitrate (between 0 and 5ppm)
Nitrite STILL 0

In all of my reading it seems like after the nitrate spike the nitrites should but still nothing.

I do have a LOT of hairy looking brown colored algae growing which I am praying is a good sign.

Algae1.jpg
algae2.jpg

When and what kind of critters should I start with? I want a peaceful community type tank with corals down the road.

looks great so far! I really like the aquascaping job you did, looks like its got a couple different caves which is always great! What type of lighting are you going to look at getting, and what types of corals are you looking to grow later on?

Looking good thus far...the brown algae on the rocks are diatoms(very common in new tanks). Eventually you may want to remove the power filter, cause it tend to trap crap and cause nitrates. After your cycle is complete, you can start off with a few small hermit crabs and/or snails, just a few at first, cause you don't want them to starve to death.

I knew I would leave out something! Thank though the rocks have tons of caves and holes I think my critters will be very happy.

1) Marineland LED light 24 - 36” - (8) 1W 6000K White & (4) .06W Blue LEDs 600 Lumens (came with the tank set up)

Its not the reef capable one but I want to upgrade to that one before getting any corals.

I have NO idea about what corals or anything yet I am still just reading my little heart out before picking anything.

Last edited:
Looking good thus far...the brown algae on the rocks are diatoms(very common in new tanks). Eventually you may want to remove the power filter, cause it tend to trap crap and cause nitrates. After your cycle is complete, you can start off with a few small hermit crabs and/or snails, just a few at first, cause you don't want them to starve to death.

What do you mean take out the power filter? Forever or temporarily?

If you're gonna keep it, you have to be anal about keeping it cleaned...the filter pads will trap junk, gunk, crap, etc, and deteriorate your water quality, raising your nitrates. Most people eventually remove their power filters and get protein skimmers, algae scrubbers, or just do regularly scheduled water changes. Remember that your live rock and live sand is your primary filtration, along with good water movement.

Actually you are off on your nitrogen cycle a bit. The order is ammonia to nitrites to nitrates. Oh and the diatoms will go away on their own.

smitty is absolutely correct. The only way i was able to keep my powerfilter, was because i had a spare foam block, and every other week, every week for a couple changes after adding new fish, I would swap out the blocks, and clean them. same with the carbon bags. But i would just put a new one of those in monthly

forgot to mention, the tank im talking about was my 10 gallon nano reef

If you're gonna keep it, you have to be anal about keeping it cleaned...the filter pads will trap junk, gunk, crap, etc, and deteriorate your water quality, raising your nitrates. Most people eventually remove their power filters and get protein skimmers, algae scrubbers, or just do regularly scheduled water changes. Remember that your live rock and live sand is your primary filtration, along with good water movement.

Well I planned to get the skimmer before adding any fish and planned to do water changes every week because I do that for my fresh tanks already. Ok this is good info thanks

Hmm so what does it mean if mine is backwards? Does that mean it hasn't really started?

the way I see this is partly cured live rock or fully cured LR that has starved a bit, as your showing nitrate the end result is working but the ammonia converting bacteria are in short supply, it will soon catch up

Yea it will eventually even itself out. You just have to be patient. It will eventually get to all zeros. Though you normally have to do a water change to get the nitrates to zero. I don't think those normally go to zero on their own.

Yea it will eventually even itself out. You just have to be patient. It will eventually get to all zeros. Though you normally have to do a water change to get the nitrates to zero. I don't think those normally go to zero on their own.

I have a nano with no livestock except a couple of snails, it still produces nitrate with no feedings, rock sheds, bacteria dies, algae rots all turn into something else

Ok guys my brown hairlike diatoms have all but disappeared. FINALLY

I have had 4 snails and 3 hermits for about 4 days and this morning I noticed this blood red colored (algae) on the rocks.

Is this something to be concerned about or is it normal? One of my snails also laid a HUGE batch of eggs on my back glass, should I remove them? I really dont want a bazillion snails.

Red Alage.jpg

Ok guys my brown hairlike diatoms have all but disappeared. FINALLY

I have had 4 snails and 3 hermits for about 4 days and this morning I noticed this blood red colored (algae) on the rocks.

Is this something to be concerned about or is it normal? One of my snails also laid a HUGE batch of eggs on my back glass, should I remove them? I really dont want a bazillion snails.

View attachment 10017

The reddish algae might be Cyano. That or it could just be diatoms or a mix of both.

My beautiful anthelia
anthelia 2.jpg

My first fish!!
GobyOne Kenobi is his name :bounce:
GobyOne Kenobi 2.jpg

GobyOne Kenobi in action....
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_63lIbtGvE]YouTube - MVI 3267[/ame]

Back