29 Gallon set up

Cycling usually takes 3 weeks, but every tank is different so you won't know until you test. Once it's done cycling, I'd do a 10 to 20% water change prior to adding any animals.

With a standard fluorescent hood, you will not be able to keep any corals, but it will be just fine for fish only and a cleaner crew. So you can start off with some fish and cleaners, and let your tank mature while you save up money for good lights. You will need a whole new light fixture, as you cannot simply swap out bulbs.

For a 29 gallon tank, a set of T5s would be perfect. You can visit various websites and browse through their T5 lighting -- Pet Supplies | Dog & Cat Supplies, Pet Meds | DrsFosterSmith.com Pet Products is probably the most popular, Aquarium Pet Fish Supplies, Tank Accessories, Products & Equipment is another popular one. Aquatraders - Wide selection of Aquarium Lightings including T5 HO, Power Compact, Metal Halide also has much cheaper lighting, but their quality is lower too, so buyer beware.

My concern with some of these light fixtures that are like a canopy is that it leaves the top of your tank open, whats the liklihood that fish could jump out of the tank??

Some fish are jumpers, you are right. Most of us have open topped tanks because it keeps the temperatures lower and promotes better gas exchange at the surface. A good solution is egg crate. You can find it in the lighting section of any hardware store. You cut a sheet to fit the top of your tank. It will keep most jumpers in, but will let light in and keep heat out.

I do not use anything on either of my tanks though, certain fishes are jumpers, but some are not. So if you stick to buying fish that aren't known to jump, you are usually okay.

About the heater: When my tank got too hot I turned a small fan on it and the temp dropped suddenly which is very bad for the fish. I got a 150 watt heater and now the fan prevents any overheating and the heater prevents any temp drop even when I turn the heat way down in the house.

Back