30 gal tank.

Tanner

Tanerious Swimeroundus
How come everytime I tell people I have a 30 gallon that I want to be a saltwater tank eventually, they always say" Oh so a nano reef" or "oh that small?"

To me , the 30 gal. doesn't look very small, tanks get expensive so for the price I got it for, I like it.

So what is the range in which a tank is classified as, Nano.

Whats your guys' opinion, 30 to small? Should I go for broke and get a bigger tank?

I have a 26 gallon bowfront and I don't consider it a nano. I've been perfectly happy with my little tank as well, and honestly, I think there are some significant advantages to having a small tank. First being that water changes are much easier to do in large quantities. I do 20 gallons a week which is 50% of my total water volume (it's hooked to a 30 gallon sump for water parameter stability) and it takes me about 35 minutes. With a smaller tank it's much easier to devote special attention to certain genera/species of coral than it is in a larger tank where things may get overlooked. I devoted my 26 gallon to sps corals and I'll probably devote my next one to a lagoon type setup when I get the money. Honestly, I probably won't ever do a reef over 50 gallons for these reasons. I'd rather have several small reefs each with its own theme rather than one huge one. Not to mention how much easier it is to scrub algae in a little tank.

Those are some good reasons for smaller tanks but let me give you a reason why I suggest you go with a bigger tank. The more water volume you have the more forgiving it will be when you have problems with your water quality. The smaller it is the less forgiving it is. I`ve seen a problem in a big tank be OK with adjustments and PWC`s and the same problem wipe out a much smaller tank. Also most people get a smaller tank and soon fill it up and then wonder why I didnt go bigger. I`ve been asked what`s a good size to start with and I always suggest a 55 gallon tank. Not saying smaller is bad but you just have to be more dilligent with a smaller tank. JMO

This question has been asked before on this site, and these seem to be the consensus that anything smaller than a 29 can be considered a nano tank. So you're right on the edge of "nano" and "small" :)

BUT,Theres nothing wrong with a SMALL tank:D
The smaller tanks do keep you on your toes and force you to get into habits that will help you when you do get a bigger tank.

Yeah I think for NOW I will stick with a smaller setup. Its all I can afford, believe me I would like something bigger. But seeing as I work from home and schools not a big obstacle, I will have lots of time to look after the tank.

I decided to do a mockup of the tank out of cardboard before getting it, just to find the best area to place it and whatnot . you like? ahaha

tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg

HAHAHA
My wife does stuff like to figure out where she wants new furniture.
When I see her cardboard work ups,I know I'm about to be broke:shock:

Nice mock-up, haha.

I have a 29G and love it death, and until I almost go broke buying corals every month. Although just like Melosu stated "most people get a smaller tank and soon fill it up and then wonder why I didnt go bigger." I'm slowly, but surely, running out of real estate in my tank to place corals without upsetting other corals. Plus, I love fish, and you only have so many options with a 29. Search craigslist for a used 55, that's my :twocents:. Also, don't forget about $$$ when it comes to equipment. Not tryin to scare you out the hobby because its a great one, very rewarding as well, but equipment is pricey.

Best of luck to you!

P.S Check out the archives section. Read up on everything, it comes in VERY handy.

Very good discussion everyone. And just like Yote said there is nothing wrong with a small tank. I think we gave some pro`s and cons of big and small tanks. I like this site. Very impressive.

I started out with a 30H tank. It's 24" deep. The LFS told me I could never do it. It was too deep for any light to penetrate. It was too small for a beginner. It was not worth the cost to do it when a 55g or a 75g was almost twice the size but only 25% more cost. Blah blah blah :pooh:

It's doing just fine almost 2.5yrs later. :mrgreen:

I'm really tempted to drain it half way down and drill a hole in the back. I want to put a sump under it.

Tanner I think a 30 gallon is a very good starting point. I started with a 10 and it was a disaster. I then got a 32 and have a lot of success. That's a good size, not too small but easier on the pocket book!

Back