36 gallon bowfront equipment help

InsanityPrawnBoy

Reefing newb
So I recently gt a 36 gallon bowfront tank and want to change my plans again but I need to know a few key things before I jump in(again).

So my plans for the tank were to make a tank for a dwarf fuzzy lionfish. But since I don't have alot of money i only want to keep one tank. Wanting a reef means compromise. I do have a question regarding this, Can I make a reef tank(Anemones, softies, lps) and still have a lionfish? I know it limits what I can have and I might just end up ditching the idea altogether(the lionfish) even though it is my dream fish, but having one means no other interesting fish or creatures like shrimp.

So the equipment I have is the tank, a 20 gallon tank waiting to be a sump, instant ocean 100 protein skimmer, a couple of powerheads(will upgrade as the tank goes along), and I have some dry rock and chaeto algae. The items I also need(lights, overflow, and return) I see costing me anywhere between $100 - $200 depending on the cost of the return pump. The light system i was looking at was Odyssea T5 High Output Lighting and the HOB overflow on the same website Filtration - Overflow cheap and from the same website as the other stuff Odyssea Water Pump Anyone with experience know if this is a good pump or if there is another cheap return pump I can get. Also I can get my sump acrylic for cheap. Any comments or suggestions are welcome(keep in mind I have a small budget).

Also for those of you who don't know i also have a 55 gallon tank(not set up) but I like the bowfront more. Thanks for reading this and an even bigger thank you if you have any links to a well priced return pump or better priced item.

I forgot to mention I want to keep a nem and an urchin of some sort(when my water is good enough for either). I just want some thoughts or suggestions on what kinds I can get that are fairly hardy. I want the urchin for bangii cardinals, and a nem because I like nems and might get some cool clowns that will host in them. The lights I posted above have 2x 24w 10000k bulbs.

Also without the lionfish I was thinking for stocking the following.
X# of Bangii cardinals(What is a recommended amount)
1 pearly jawfish
1 firefish
1-2 clowns(not normal clownfish unless they are a mated pair)
1 potters angel

Inverts
1 Fire shrimp
1 Pom pom crab
1 Sea urchin
1 Nem

I'll figure out the coral I want later but that is a rough outline of what I eventually want in my tank. Any suggestions on what I can or can't do please do write. As soon as i get another $60 I will start this baby up.

I don't think that light you posted has individual reflector, if not then I don't think it will be enough light for a nem. Also, I'm confused what you mean when you say you want an urchin FOR the cardinals? As for your stocking list, in a 36g I think 4 fish maybe 5 will be the most you'll be able to support especially if you're using a cheaper skimmer and want water quality good enough for a nem.

@BL1
"I'm confused what you mean when you say you want an urchin FOR the cardinals?"

Thanks. As for the cardinals, I read multiple times that they will "host" an urchin. Therefor I wanted one if I got them.

"As for your stocking list, in a 36g I think 4 fish maybe 5 will be the most you'll be able to support especially if you're using a cheaper skimmer and want water quality good enough for a nem.

OK I haven't planned a stocking list in awhile so I will try to figure out what I want. Also my skimmer may be on the cheapish side but it is meant for a 100 gallon tank so it should be fairly good. I have used it before too and it gets alot of gunk out.

@Biff

Ok good to know, i have another set of that brand of lights and it works well but the built in timer doesn't work well.

So my new question(not new but stuff I need to know) is if the pump I listed is going to be a good purchase or not if anyone knows or has a guess, also if I can get a link to a cheapish pump that I can get with ~700 gph
Also I have no clue on the requirements for an urchin. So if I can get any help there.

New fish stocking,
1 pearly jawfish
1 firefish
X amount of bangii cardinals(how many if any)
If I can either a clownfish or an angel

thanks for the input too

Actually its the new born fry that host urchins, not the adults. So if you have a breeding pair you might find the babies within the urchin spines. But i think they only do this with a few species of urchins, like the long spine which i dont think will work for your tank.

bangiis7-4005-1.jpg

That is someone "urchin" for the babies to hide in.

I was reading more on them and I might say no on getting them although they are beautiful fish IMO. Although I would like to breed them. Maybe I'll set up my 55 gallon later to breed them or something, But with this tank I want it to be simple yet with spectacular colors and movement.

So stocking would be more like a Jawfish, a firefish, and either a clown or an angel. But I really want a fish that is black and white. But I still have time to change my mind again(which I do alot).

So back to what I need to know now(also thanks for the info little_fish)
The return pump is it good? Or another link to a pump under $100 700gph greatly appreciated.
Do I need to incorporate chaeto algae into my sump?
All in all is my set up good for 4 fish and a huge reef(Mushrooms, zoanthids, GSP, candy canes, acans, others when I see them if they will work)?

Thanks for all the help so far!

You were right, I just read this in wikipedia "young fish are most commonly associated with sea anemone, while juveniles and adults occur most frequently among long-spined sea urchins and branching corals". But I'm sure it's like clowns and they won't definitely "host them".
If you want black and white in your tank you could always go with one normal clown and one black and white one. I've never used any of the odyessa pumps so I can't really comment but, I've been using one of the marineland maxijet pumps for a while with out any issues (and I've let it run dry a few times by accident). It's a 795gph and I think I only paid like $85 from my LFS for it. You can incorporate chaeto if you want but it's not necessary.

All in all your setup looks fine for a reef setup.

Also a an algae scrubber can help you maintain good water conditions if that is an issue you are concerned with. I have no experience with them but several people here do and they are supposedly excellent at making water quality pristine for things such as corals and nemes.

Thanks guys!

@BL1

I can't believe I forgot about the black and white clowns those were among the first fish I looked into.

As soon as I can order the stuff I will make a build thread. Thanks for the help

Back