36 requirements?

Eissie

Reefing newb
So I got a 36gal bow front I'm trading a pup for, comes with all sorts of stuff. Anyway, what is the lighting requirements for this tank? They say it comes with lights but I think it's just the basic aquarium lights for fresh water. And do I need a sump for the tank, or can I skip out on it? If so would a 5gal tank work?

And what's the best sand out there for the price?

I'm looking forward to cycling this one and knowing what's going on. Lol

oh, and too, what is the best kind of leds i can get for my corals to pop? Im not getting good color from them and it makes me sad. :<

What are you currently lighting the tank with? You can probably change the bulbs out for something that better suits your color taste otherwise look into stunner strips or par38 led bulbs for slcolir supplementation

As far as sand, anything aragonite is fine

You don't need a sump, but it's a great place to hide things like heaters

If you're just using them to supplement other light, the 'cheap' led strips would probably work as long as they are the right wavelength, but I wouldn't use them as the main lighting source for a reef tank.

It looks like the 36 gallon bowfront is 30 inches long, you might be able to get away with a single AI fixture if you really want to do LED's, but two would probably be better. If you're electrically inclined you could also look into a DIY fixture- in which case you could use any color LED that you wanted

Last edited:
Well, guess its just a wait and see with it cause in not sure yet what going in it, so till then i'll just have to research the color combosfor corals i like. need just all kinds of colors lol

Back