48in metal hallid hanging help?????!

Denita

Sail em & Sell em
Ok I have noticed that my lighting is too intense for my corals everything I have moved to the bottom and sometimes I bring frags I bring home I have to put in the shade or on the bottom under a rock. I have 2 250watt metal halids w 14000k bulbs and its about 5ins off the top of the tank. If I was to hang it up from the ceiling how high off the top of the tank should it be? Any suggestions?

Your lighting definitely isn't too intense for your tank. I run 2x250w 15000k mH and 4x54w T5 actinics over my 75 and all my corals do just fine. Whenever you put new corals in your tank, they should always start out at the bottom to get used to your lighting then after a week or two you can start moving them around to where you'd like to have them. But, if you really want to raise your lights up, try them at 8" or so and you can just keep moving them up from there till you find a spot you're happy with.

Ok, I just noticed I put acans on the bottom and duncons and they never opened the acans receded in 2 days of being under my lighting which I got them from a guy who only ran 2 t5's, my water quality is great everything tests good. Also with it that high I jump temp even w icecap fans 4 of em! I just dunno what todo!

I doubt the problems with your corals were the light, I've got acan and duncan frags half way up in my tank and in the past month both have been growing 2-3 new heads. It could be temp fluctuation, what is the temp of your tank before the lights come on and after?

Its 80 before and 81 after the lights have been on all day before I shut them down. So a degree.....

Maybe they were just in too much flow or something I am not too sure.But If I were to hang it about 8in is good?

Ok, I just noticed I put acans on the bottom and duncons and they never opened the acans receded in 2 days of being under my lighting which I got them from a guy who only ran 2 t5's, my water quality is great everything tests good. Also with it that high I jump temp even w icecap fans 4 of em! I just dunno what todo!

I would say that this is why they receded. They went from only 2 t5's to being under much stronger MH's. Its like going out in the summer after a long winter being locked inside... without sunscreen. You burn until you build up a tan. Put them at the bottom then cut the time down to a few hours a day and slowly build it back up to the amount of time you like.

Ok, ya thats what I was thinking I had them at the bottom but I think it was still too much for them I had them under some shade also but Better luck next time I guess Ill try that tho! thanks everyone!

Back