55 vs 80

Eissie

Reefing newb
I might have the chance to trade my 55 "long" for a 80gal bowfront.

Which one would be better for me and the fish?

Problem it there is no stand, and my 55 has a stand. Not even sure what i could do to make a stand for a bow front. And the "brace is cracked and he said it can be ordered for around $30.

What do you guys think?

Personally i would go with the 80 bow, and then just put it on a square stand. It might look a little funny, but you will like having the extra volume.

Plus its pretty easy to fix the center brace i believe.

Well i was wondering the long even though is it only 55 versus that 80 bow for the pleasure of the fish and things. And if i go with that 80 what lighting and sump size do i need, cause everything i have found and planned out will have to change and i was going to see what the price difference would be.

the longer a tank is, the better it is for the fish. Plus it will be wider which will make aqauscaping much easier. Also you wouldnt have to change too much between the 55 and 80, mostly just the lighting size

Kay that's fine then. I'm not even really sure what the specs are for the length of the 80 so honestly it may be longer or even the same length. But the thing I'm think of is filling that baby up. I have been buying distilled to do my water changes. Guess that is where I'll have to buy the ro filter.

Your lfs might sell RO/DI water. I cant instal an RO/DI filter so i buy mine from my lfs, it much cheaper than distilled for me.

If you can, find a bowfrront tank and look at the stuff in the tank for a while. It really bothered me to look in my tank for long periods when I had a bowfront, I'll never buy one again.

Huh. Guess I didn't think about the distortion situation. I'll have to think about that. Thanks guys!

If you get a chance,run by the store and look at the bow fronts we have there.or even the corner tanks.That way you'll have an idea to base your choice on.

Well looks like the trade fell through. Im going to try to bring him down on the price, but i doubt he will. 125 might be too much for me to swing right now for this tank without a stand and hood. Thanks though for all the help guys.

And Yote, do ya'll ever get any cheato in? Im looking for some to go in the back of my biocube. Thanks!

We do get have cheato some times.But it usually sales out within a day.
We don't have room to grow Cheato ourselves,so we'll trade store credit for it.That we can sale it cheap ( usually $1.00 ) for a base ball sized clump.

When we get some in,I'll hide you some back and let you know it's there.

And we DO have some Cheato in.:D Not much but we do have some.
And I'll be there from 12 eastern till closing at 8,so if you want to come see me.:wink:

Oh neat! I know a few Laynes and Johnsons. And DEF know your aunt and uncle. :D

I was a Green, but got married and now im a Parson.

I know a few Greens too.:D
It's a pretty good bet that we've at the very least be around each other before and probably have have talked more than a few times.:D

Back