5g suggestion?

Cr1ck37

Reefing newb
I understand the general rule is 10g / fish but I was thinking of suggestions for a 5g tank? (no clownfish as I already have a pair in my other tank)

It is currently an empty freshwater tank (yes, all cleaned) and hasn't been used for a while and I was thinking of converting it.

Nano fish comes to mind for an inhabitant but anyone else have input?

I had a yellow clown goby in mine, but with out the lid he jumped, all of them did actually. And when i put the lid on you really could see the less oxygen and light having an effect.

I personally wont put a fish in a tank that small again, too easy for them to kill themselves.

I would just stick with all the cool inverts you can put in there, i have sexy shrimp and a pom pom crab.

How funny, little i just finished reading your "awesomeness" tank thread after erin suggested reading the contest page. I have a lid on the one I'm thinking of starting so maybe a goby and some inverts will be put in there.

I was using a solid lid, i havent had the time to build a screen top.

Also, if you do the dwarf seahorses please please please do tons of research on them! They are not for everyone! You have to provide them with live food daily, there is no substitute! And then can easiely be killed by stinging corals, nems or hydroids.

Yup as with everything else, research is always a must! Just an option for now. Seems to be as hard (or harder) than mandarins from what I've read so far.

No, they are much harder. You have to physically hatch the brine shrimp. A mandarine will eat the pods that breed and live in there naturally. Very very different situation.

Here's my 5G tank...75% used water / 25% fresh. I still don't know what to put in here. Maybe a goby / pistol pair. 18w 50/50 hood lights. Closed top might be a problem?

IMG_0003.JPG

Funny story about sea horses. I was in an LFS yesterday and they had a seahorse tank., rare around here. Well all of the sea horses were anchored on this poor pipe fish :P They stayed on him while he swam around as well. Funny situation

poor seahorses, i hate seeing them in lfs. they are usually in crappy setups and go to homes where people have no idea how to properly take care of them and then they die :(

Funny story about sea horses. I was in an LFS yesterday and they had a seahorse tank., rare around here. Well all of the sea horses were anchored on this poor pipe fish :P They stayed on him while he swam around as well. Funny situation

OMG. Poor pipe fish indeed! That's so sad. I have a pipefish. I love the guy! He's really smart. For some reason I get that impression... Funny to say about a fish.

Back