6 days away from home...

baddfish

scrubber fan!
What I thought was going to be two days and one night out of town next week has turned out to be 6 days and 5 nights!
I'm kinda nervous about this. Since I set up the tank I've only been gone a day or so, and I'm afraid I'm going to be worrying the whole time
I've never had any big mishaps in the past, but you know how that goes.
My teenage son knows quite a bit about how the tank works, and he really only has to top off every couple days, and feed the fish a few times, which he already knows how to do.
I'm just worried about some unforseen, overlooked detail I might miss. Maybe I won't worry so much if I feel like I have everything covered...

Gonna clean all the pumps and powerheads.
Make sure the little air siphon in the overflow box is thoroughly clean and free of any slime or debris.
All lights are timed, and only a month or so old.
Clean scrubber/screen up the morning before leaving, and it won't need cleaned til I get back.
(He knows to use only R/O water for topoffs, and I'll have food portioned out for him. He's done the routine before, only not for 6 days!)

What else can I do? I don't use filter socks or anything to block flow, so I don't see any kind of blockage happening. Everything seems to be in shape...water quality is good, and been stable for quite some time now. No new changes of any kind....

You should be fine! I assume your teenage son will be able to get a hold of you should anything come up. I had my younger brother stop by the house every night when I was on vacation for 10 days in december to watch my tank. One night he called telling me the tank was at 65 degrees! I told him how to check all components one by one and we quickly figured out the GFCI outlet had tripped. I didn't lose anything and I gained more trust in my brother for actually checking the things to asked him to.

Long story short, trust your son and all should be well!

I always tell people to go ahead and pre-measure the food and separate them out in pill boxes. I've always had teenagers pet sit, and it was a foolproof way to guarantee that they weren't overfeeding. Even if you son knows how much to feed, it would just be one less thing to worry about.

Thanks everyone...all good ideas.
I just found out the change of plans this morning, so I was freaking out a little.
I thought things through, and I'm feeling a little better now.:Cheers:

I'm sure he'll be fine........he'll have plenty of time to take care of the fish in between parties.

Yeah, don't think that hasn't crossed my mind more than once. He just got his license a month ago too! So I got plenty of other things to worry about besides a silly fish tank! :shock:

I leave town all the time.Leave the tank completely alone or in the care of your caretanker BEFORE you leave town and see if anything goes wrong. I only get a care-tanker when I leave town more than 3 days. An ATO is a very good idea,.

i left my state and went to florida (if some one ya remembered) and i had no one to take care of my fish and some of living reef member wee right my fish lived up over a week none of them died but first when i left i gave them candy bars (brine Shrimp) to get some belly full :P

I leave town all the time.Leave the tank completely alone or in the care of your caretanker BEFORE you leave town and see if anything goes wrong. I only get a care-tanker when I leave town more than 3 days. An ATO is a very good idea,.

Caretanker! That's great! :D

I know...I really need to work an ATO into my system. I'm going out of town for 2 weeks this summer, and I really want to do that before then!

And ya lilfish...I have one 18, one 16 and one 14, so I"m not sure how my heart's gonna hold out the next few years...!

Back