60 gal set-up update. Looking for some advice

FNG44601

Reefing newb
Thanks to those of you that helped me before with my freak out, and I don't want to be the type that you only see on here when something goes wrong!!!!!!!!! Lol, SOOO..... Still taking it so slow. Now there's LR, LS, and 3 Teeny Tiny Damsels, and the various hitch hikers.

Week 2 no signs of anything.... :) but I still have a few questions. A lot of the LR I have have the awesome purple coloring- seems a waste to have them being used as "base". Also mixed in are the lava rock (this came live as well) I assume there's no difference now if I just bought maybe another 50 lbs or so of just regular rock- Do I have enough to seed it already? Anyone have any experiences with doing so?

My second ? is I am noticing that underneath the substrate is turning a little bit darker than the surface(white fiji ls) What's going on there? respiration??? There are no bubbles on the sand. I also notice 2 little patces of a rust color on the substrate- Almost the same color as the lava rock- is this anything to be concerned about?

The purple coloration on the rocks is probably coralline, which is good. It will eventually spread to the rest of your rocks. The rock that you have will be enough to seed some base rock, if you decide to add some.

The rust colored stuff are diatoms. Normal part of a new tank. They will come and go, and as your tank matures become less frequent.

The stuff right under the surface of your sand is probably also diatoms or some other sort of algae -- also normal.

How much of the live rock do you have?
It dont take much LR to seed base rock.If thats what your asking.

Its also normal for the deeper part of the sand bed to be darker colored.Thats cause by bacteria within the sandbed.Its also what makes the sand work as part of the bio-filter.

And I'm betting the rust colored stuff is diatoms.They will eventually go away on there own.There just a normal part of a new system.

Biff and Yote have you covered. I am having a little diatom action in my new 90 as well. Nothing to be worried about.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Back