72X18X18 (100gallon) Reef Build

kosmo

Provider of awesome
Right so for ages I’ve been running a 50 gallon reef, but about a year ago I ran into some financial hardship, was forced into a move and had to give it up. Shame sure but I’m a bright side kind of guy and have since done a complete 180, all the while dreaming of getting back into the hobby. Recently after some research as to material availability (I live in rural northern Ontario) and discussions with a friend at my local LFS I place the order for my 72” 100 gallon tank and stand. At the time I wanted to save myself some headaches so I had it predrilled and had the bulkhead installed before delivery.

Picture of the tank and stand, you’ll notice another tank below, that’s cobalt my python.

DSC_00190008.jpg

DSC_00120001.jpg

Picture of the Overflow

DSC_00150004.jpg

I picked up a 20 gallon tank for dirt cheap at my LFS because they like my patronage/the boat loads of cash I spend there. I’m in the process now of turning it into my sump with some glass I had lying around. It was trial and error with the glass cutter, I managed to botch about 4 or 5 good sized chunks, but once I got the hang of it I got them all cut and I’m waiting on the silicone to dry up.

Here is the sump partially built, I still need to add about two more sheets of glass for the water return section, my return pump has also been ordered and should be in next week.

DSC_00180007.jpg

(yeah i know there are cd's in there and its all siliconed in, but i made sure i could get them out first ;)

More to come, keep checking in.

Cheers,
Kosmo

Just a tip on cutting glass. if you tap the glass with the ball end of the glass cutter the whole length of the cut on one side flip it over and do the same it will pre-stress the cut and make it snap easier. Sometimes you will get small cracks along the cut line while tapping(thats a good thing ; ) )

Very nice looking start to a good reef.

I like the dimensions of your tank -- I'm partial to long and shallow tanks! It's looking great so far, good job on the sump. I look forward to seeing your progress.

New Kids on The Block, Yanni, Milli Vanili... what kind of cd's are you listening to!

I wish, those are instant classics, anyone would be lucky to own those ground breaking albums.
Actually what you see there is Tool, and about 7 Big Shiny Tunes albums.

A quick update too, the sump was finished lastnight however i noticed that one sheet of glass was cut to long, so i need to remove it tonight trim and reapply. But hey, there is nothing better than learning through doing...

Cheers.

Nice dimensions. You could probably get good PAR readings through out the tank with just three 150 watt HQI halides. Would make a real nice SPS tank, and cheap to run. Who manafactures that tank? Very nice dimensions. Great graphics!

NICE WORK!! on the editing!

Like the lighting effects! what program did ya use!
Yeah but can he make jack eat one of reeffreak's anthias lol

Thanks, I did the work in Photoshop, i adore the Adobe suit hours of fun...

quick update I've picked up my plumbing and finished to sump, will be ordering my skimmer shortly, Also i just got word my pump is in as well. Slowly shes a coming together.

Cheers,
Kosmo

Side note. I can turn Jack into the fish version of the hulk and have him rampage reeffreak's Anthias, tank, home, world...
Bring it

Last edited:
What awesome dimensions on your tank,Kosmo!Did you ever mention the what company made that tank?

Why everybody want to be mean to my anthias?

Back