75 g to 125g tank swap correct sequence ?

ssewards

Reefing newb
the new/used 125 g tank is up and running for 1 week . i have utilized all the info i found on this great site. my acrylic 40 g sump is working perfect. octo x-treme skimmer is amazing. highly recommended but a little loud as i heard. my question is should i add some or most of my actual 90 lbs of figi live rock to the new tank as my livestock is swimming around the 75. i don't want to take their homes away. also should i seed the new tank w/2 to 3 cups of sand from old tank right away. i have 2-3 inch live sand bed in new tank now . this week end i will get out the carpentry tools and build new hood , i am going to use my light setup from 75 g which i oversized. twin 250 w m/h w/blue actinic fluor. any one got ideas for a flip top hood ? i also just got the ato working w/the 5 gal bucket and components. i can't believe i have been topping off my old tank without this set up. it was so easy to make. :cold: thanks just chillin in new england

Well, you can add it to the 125g to seed it so your cycle will go faster. If you really don't want to do that, you can just put all new rocks in there and just wait for the cycle to be done. My 125g took maybe 3-4 weeks to completely cycle. I had upgraded from a 45g to a 125g. I treated the 125g as a new tank, and let it cycle on its own. Every time I fed my 45g fish, I fed the 125g.

Obviously you'll have to add more rock anyway. And don't forget to post pics!

Back