8 gallon desktop tank

jamestown478

Reefing newb
I started this 8 gallon tank in September,

IMAG0006.jpg
[/IMG]

I have about 8lbs of live rock, 1 inch of live sand, and 1 inch of crushed coral on top of that. I installed a hang on heater and filter and a little air wall thing for the fish. There is currently one clown fish, 3 snails, a hermit crab and a peppermint shrimp in it. I also have 2 small corals on each side of the live rock but I forgot what they are called. lol. I am hoping to add one more clown and another 6 or so lbs of live rock to be happy with it. For lighting I have a 13" odyssea compact fluorescent 24w light 50/50 combo. Will this be enough lighting for my tank?

That light is probably okay for very low light corals, such as mushrooms, leathers and zoanthids. But any other type of coral will need something stronger. It looks good so far!

what else can I add for lighting that would fit such a small tank? The light I have now does seem really bright, how much more light do they need?

No. The light you have is okay for low light corals. You have low light corals right now. So they are fine. But you will be limited to low light corals if you stay with that light. If that's okay, and all you are interested in keeping are softies, then by all means, stick with that light.

Zoanthids do great in small tanks because you can keep so many different types in a small area. I also like ricordeas for that same reason. Since you already have a clown, you could put one more fish in there, but it'd have to be small, like a yellow or green clown goby.

Jamestown what part of WI do you live, and where is your LFS. I live near Milwaukee, so we could share info on sales and what store has what fish. I like the small tank. Looking good.

well I got my clean up crew from reefcleaners.com and added them to the tank yesturday. It consists of:

13 dwarf ceriths
3 nassarius
3 florida ceriths
3 blue leg hermits
3 small to medium nerites.

BTW there is a LFS on MLK DR/Old world 3rd, that have good prices. Northstar turned me on to them. They are acrossed the street from the Time Warner building. It is worth the trip down. You got new pics?

Back