90 gal Tech Tank finally setup

SonicGT02

Reefing newb
I finally have my new tank setup. It is a world of difference going from a non-reef ready tank and canister to a reef ready and sump. I LOVE :heartpump this tank and set up, especially since there are opening doors on both ends of the stand as well as the 2 in the front. I have a 30gal sump, which is working great! I have the sand in and am going to wait a month to put the macro algea in the refugium (not sure on the spelling). No coral yet, but want to wait till the tank is more mature. Had to share now that it's up! :bounce:

Attachments

• Close Clam.JPG
    Close Clam.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 571
  • Distant Clam.JPG
    Distant Clam.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 566
  • Finally Setup.JPG
    Finally Setup.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 792
  • New Tank Set Up.JPG
    New Tank Set Up.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 14,751
Wow thats great! I am happy for you and i am glad that you love it! Thats what is most importent as long as you love it, that is all that matters! Good Luck with it!

I thought long and hard about the rock formation and that is the best I could come up with. The fish really like the left side setup as there is alot of area's for them to go through. The right side is a little more solid, as in not as many area's to swim through. Thanks for all the possitive feedback!!

Very nice! You want to get that clam off the sand tho. Crocea clams are high light demanding, rock boring clams. It should be high up in the rocks.

Tank looks awesome. I love the stand for it.

Clams are hard to take care of. You sadi you're not adding corals because you want the tank to mature, but clams are harder to care for than most coral, so keep an eye on him.

Good luck.

Very nice! You want to get that clam off the sand tho. Crocea clams are high light demanding, rock boring clams. It should be high up in the rocks.

I did not know that some clams were meant to be in the rocks. I thought they all loved the sand. I've had this clam for over a year and it has done well in the sand of both my tanks. Should I move it into the rocks??

It does look a little browned out...could be from lack of light.

A Close-up Look at Tridacna crocea
From the article...
"Throughout much of their range, croceas can be found in large numbers in the intertidal zone where they are periodically exposed by low tides, and in shallow subtidal waters."
and...
"Croceas are also called boring clams because they literally bore a hole into whatever substrate they live on, which they enlarge and deepen as they grow. For this reason, they’re typically almost entirely enclosed in live or dead coral heads, or in solid limestone substrates with their upper shell margin approximately even with the surface of their burrows. Still, I’ve occasionally seen individuals whose shell protruded from their burrow, with up to about one-third of it sticking out."

I'm suprised that you think the clam looks a little browned out...it looks very brilliant in color to me. I really want to thank you for the link to the clam article!! I wasn't quite sure what type of clam it was, but I do now and will definately try to find a way to get it closer to the surface! Thanks again for the GREAT information!!

It does look a little browned out...could be from lack of light.
A Close-up Look at Tridacna crocea
From the article...
"Throughout much of their range, croceas can be found in large numbers in the intertidal zone where they are periodically exposed by low tides, and in shallow subtidal waters."
and...
"Croceas are also called boring clams because they literally bore a hole into whatever substrate they live on, which they enlarge and deepen as they grow. For this reason, they’re typically almost entirely enclosed in live or dead coral heads, or in solid limestone substrates with their upper shell margin approximately even with the surface of their burrows. Still, I’ve occasionally seen individuals whose shell protruded from their burrow, with up to about one-third of it sticking out."

The clam looks healthy, but in the 1 pic it looks a little faded (brown) around the sides. Could just be the pic tho.

I didn't really take notice to the "yellow-ish" color, until you pointed it out. I think it is because I had just cleaned the algea off of the glass. I definately do not think it's the light. So, here are a couple more pictures, which you can definately tell the difference from the first pictures I posted.

i think its just the way it looks in that tank since the tank is yellow-ish from im assuming 10k bulbs

Attachments

• P1070303.JPG
    P1070303.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 1,130
  • P1070305.JPG
    P1070305.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 586
Back