90 gallon reef to be.

navyguyame

Reefing newb
So I was forced in to an upgrade by my friends during a move across town a few months back. the tank has been cycling it is almost done ammonia is at 0 ppm, nitrites are on their way down at .25 ppm from .5 last night, and nitrates are at 10 from 5 last night. I still have yet to see any algae growth. By now on my last two tank algae was growing rapidly on everything.

So back to the new tank i was moving out of base housing due to the fact that they would not let me keep my dogs in the back yard during the day. They expected them to be left in a cage all day. So we moved out in to a house with a huge back yard for them to roam. So my friends are moving the 75 gallon tank to the trailer to move it across town when i heard a crash needless to say my fish tank was in a million pieces:shock:. Luckily nobody was injured but note that walked backwards in flip flops is not a good idea. so feeling horrible that they broke my fish tank they got together and found a nice 90 gallon to replace it for 100 dollars:bounce:.

Sorry i dont have any pictures on my computer of it or i would post them i will make an effort tomorrow to get them on.

Stocking plans are

3 Blue Reef Chromis
2 Clownfish (locally bred)
1 Orange Spotted Diamond Goby
1 Yellow Tang? Still unsure about this guy.
1 Linespot Flasher Wrasse
1 Flame angel

Any thoughts I had a yellow tang in the 75 that i had to take down because it was considered an exotic pet but im not sure if i want another one or not.

I personally hate chromis, im still hoping the remaining two i have will kill one another, because there is no way to get them out without breaking down the tank.

Also my female clown bashes them around if they get too close to her sleeping area lol

erin they said that the whole tank was an exotic pet.

i just think that they didnt want to have to clean up if there was an accident but it is still :pooh:

I like my chromis! I think they are fun to watch, but you will need to feed twice a day to keep the aggression between them at a manageable level.

Also, you dont add a male/female pair of the flasher/fairy wrasses the males will look rather boring because they have no one to put the sexy on for.

I liked my chromis in the 75 gallon as well. I fed the tank twice a day for the same reason as per my LFS. I had pretty much the same fish minus the wrasse and the flame angel with no agression problems for almost a year and a half. I know all fish are different and a hope I don't have problems with them this time. My kids are very excited that the fishes are coming back soon.

I am going to try and find three of the smallest I can but I am limited to one LFS. And there stock is not the greatest so I might have to order online.

yes, my chromis were 3 diff sizes when i got them, the smallest was the meanest. The smaller two killed the big one, and now they kissy fight a lot lol.

Last time i tried to get them out, i took out all the top rocks and i still couldnt capture them lol. I have just given up, they were nice the first day when they schooled. Since then, chromis from hell lol

Yup i think thats how they caught them in the store, because they wont go near the bottle trap or slide trap. I also tried the barbless hooks but only the gobies went after it lol.

Most of the time they just chill on opposite sides but when they meet up its kissy fight time :) I think it has everything to do with them not being the same size from the start. I didnt even consider it, but now its painfully obvious :c

A 90 is what I consider the perfect sized tank, I'm excited to see yours come along. Nice, thoughtful stocking list too.
Chromis are adorable and I love them, wish I could keep them alive in my tank! Kelz, you and I have opposite problems for sure!
You have your rockscaping and everything all set up? Let's see pictures!

Yeah the rock is 100lbs of Marcos rock. I have taken pictures but my wife stole the camera for the day so I can upload anything.

Ok as promised here are a few of the picture of my setup of course it still needs work but I am a guy it will never be done.

T5s and MH

Sump tank that I made

Moon Lighting

Just the T5s

DJ strips to turn on and off everything easily

Last edited:
Back