93g cube of AWESOME!

calc is right around where it should be.
alk is still a little high. im not sure how sensitive sps corals are to alk, though, so I don't know if that is your problem or not. 8-12 is supposed to be where you're shooting for and you're close to it, but remember that most natural coral reef systems have alk in the 6-8 range.
mag is ok....a little on the low side but not dangerous. Generally want it to be 1250-1350. This definitely isn't your problem.

I am having so much trouble targeting what exactally the problem is. Yea my alk might be a bit high but not enough to kill corals...

All the params are where they should be minus alk being a little high. I dont really want to be moving the corals around in the tank bc that will most likely finished them off. Idk I anyone has any idea at all, please throw it out there. Meanwhile I think im going to bed to sleep off this frustration.

I did some googling.
I didnt find anything useful except this:
https://www.livingreefs.com/alk-too-high-t28999.html

skil to yote's first post. Yours isnt nearly as high as that guys was but this could potentially be the culprit if the corals were already steessed or if they werent doing well to begin with i think.

The only thing i can think of personally would be to try and switch brands of salt. Does your salt mix list the parameters that x amount of salt will give the water? Its possible that youre using a salt with a naturally high alk content and if thats the case you could try switching to another brand with a lower alk.

I know you dont want to hear it but your best bet might be to invest in an ro or rodi system or run tk walmart and buy 20 gallons of water. Around here 20 gallons of RO water costs 18 dollars at walmart.

Dont lower it too fadt though as that will only mess with them even more. Lower it over a longer period.

Sorry you are having problems with your SPS, Brittany :(
I know it sucks, but tap water is just too unpredictable. You never know whats coming through that line except for what they tell you in a brochure once a year. I'd invest in an RO/DI for your gorgeous tanks. Even if that's NOT the problem you can rest assured knowing your water is pure and that it isn't whats giving you issues.
Good luck!

Today was my hubby and I 3 year wedding anniversary so we went out to the lfs to do a little shopping. We really wanted a tang for the tank but most tangs get too large for my tank. We ended up seeing a Tomini tang that looked very nice and healthy, also good sized. So we got him!! He is exploring the tank a little bit. I can't wait until he gets comfortable and starts swimming all around! Also we got a colony of right reddish pink zoas. I fragged up the colony and put a frag in this tank and all the other in my ten gallon. The zoas aren't open yet but here's a pic of the tang. Oh and my two engineer gobies aren't getting along at the moment. One has some tattered fins and got kicked out of the hole they lived in. Guess he needs to find a new spot to dig out. Excuse the bit of aptasia on the goby pic, I need to zap that one still. I also moved my big green brain over to this tank bc I needed room to store frags in the 10g. It's so much bigger than the brain I got from DD.

c866cd41.jpg

766d6393.jpg

d6212bb4.jpg

e91d42f5.jpg

I'm going to opine here, if I may. I had experienced the same issue you did with an sps. I have 3 par 38 led bulbs sitting too close to the top. I had underestimated their umph. I remember reading at some point you had an led similar. Not sure if its still on this tank? Anyways, the sps did great for about the same amount of time. It bleached. I thought I had lost it. So after talking to my guy whom manages the store owned by Sustainable Aquatics... pretty sure most of you guys know them but anyways bunny trail... just like to share that fact. After some back and forth it was decided I should raise my lights about 6 inches and put the sps in direct flow of a power head it could possibly come back. I also read that low temps could possibly be a reason for bleaching as well. Instead of 77, i increased my temp to 82. It's been about 3 or so weeks since I made the changes and the color is returning, slowly. So one of a few things had happened: A) Not enough flow. B) Too much light at once or not enough. C) decreased temp (possible). Or D) a variation of any of the former. I also want to point out there has been no adverse effects from any of the changes. I do not at this point dose anything. I do regular water changes of about 5 gallons roughly every 2 weeks. For all it's worth, this has been my experience and it certainly is similar to yours. I've been doing some research as well and it seems that this is a common issue with leds. Either people switching to or the sps coming from a different light source. :D

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your expirience with me! It is very frustrating isn't it? I do agree about switching from metal halides to LEDs. That could have been what done it. I have my kessil a350w about five to six inches from the surface of the water and the sps corals are about three quarters of the way up in the tank. I have a pink Birdsnest right up top that is doing great and a blue green acro just a bit lower doing good also. The two montis that I have bleaching may have been placed in bad locations with not enough flow and not enough light. I think I am seeing them starting to regain a teeny bit of color but its only been a couple days. I also have them in pretty direct flow. The purple valida I have no clue. It doesn't look bleached but like it rtned on the bottom portion. It's not getting better and not too much worse either. I'm just going to keep doing my reg water changes and keep an eye on them. If they make it the I'll be very happy but if not I am not replacing them anytime soon. I do have a monti from my 29g that I kept under te marineland reef capable LEDs that it growing tremendously under this kessil light. Again thank you for sharing your expirience with me and I hope your sps corals pull thru. I wish you the best of luck. :)

Mine is mid tank. I hope it does. My first venture into sps keeping. I just wouldn't worry about numbers right now. I think sometimes people get short sighted on numbers this and numbers that and everything has to be this way and that that the beauty of keeping an ocean in the living room is lost. Because your posts screamed "omg I'm going to pull my hair out." I suppose I'm pretty mellow about things. Just keep with your water changes and you'll be fine.

I agree, this is sopposed to be a hobby. Your hobby should not stress you out tithe point of unhappiness. I was just so flustered bc it feels like flushing money down the toilet when a coral dies. But you are right sometimes you just need to take a step back. Stop testing the water every single day and stressing about the numbers and just let the tank sit as is and hope for the best. Keep up with maintenance of course but some things you just can't avoid no matter how perfect the tank is. But I will most deff try to mellow out like you haha and just keep up with my routine maintenance. I soppose if the fish are happy and all other corals are happy I must be doing something right haha

Not too much happening with the tank right now. I have one acro from divers den left :/ my superman and Danae monti are making a comeback I think. The Tomini tang is doing well. He loves to graze on the algae in the tank and I love it as well bc he cleans it up real nice. With him and the starry blenny they do a great job eating the algae. I have decided that I am going to sell frags so I can make some money to replace the lost corals. I just need to buy shipping supplies and I will be all set to ship! Only have three types of zoas available. Just want it to be a small thing, maybe I'll sell once a month or so. Anyways heres some random pictures I took yesterday.

e0f669fd.jpg

90ae343f.jpg

This is a new monti that my friend gave me. Navy green with mint green polyps :)
09f82c89.jpg

c24bf342.jpg

f8cb6d65.jpg

6e9356e4.jpg

cdc38bec.jpg

d6733d89.jpg

Not too much happening with the tank right now. I have one acro from divers den left :/ my superman and Danae monti are making a comeback I think. The Tomini tang is doing well. He loves to graze on the algae in the tank and I love it as well bc he cleans it up real nice. With him and the starry blenny they do a great job eating the algae. I have decided that I am going to sell frags so I can make some money to replace the lost corals. I just need to buy shipping supplies and I will be all set to ship! Only have three types of zoas available. Just want it to be a small thing, maybe I'll sell once a month or so. Anyways heres some random pictures I took yesterday.

e0f669fd.jpg

90ae343f.jpg

This is a new monti that my friend gave me. Navy green with mint green polyps :)
09f82c89.jpg

c24bf342.jpg

f8cb6d65.jpg

6e9356e4.jpg

cdc38bec.jpg

d6733d89.jpg

The monti is already growing!

Back