A Bit About Myself

StevenPro

Reefing newb
While I am new here, I am not new to aquarium keeping or online message boards. I have been keeping freshwater aquariums for as long as I can remember, but did not start with saltwater fish until 1993 during my junior year of college. Upon returning from school, I was fortunate enough to reside only a short five-minute drive from Poseidon's Living Treasures, Anthony Calfo's greenhouse propagation facility. Actually, Anthony's place was in between my house and my girlfriend's, so stopping by was very convenient. It was here that I gained a tremendous resource of information and inspiration.

I am currently the proprietor of Pro Aquatic Services Company, an aquarium sales and maintenance business in Pennsylvania. I have long been active in the retail and hobby sides of the ornamental aquatics industry. I have taken an active and impassioned role in the industry as a member of the Pittsburgh Marine Aquarium Society, Inc. for the past ten years, having also been elected to the Board of Directors for the last eight years. I am also a member of the Greater Pittsburgh Aquarium Society, Inc. (the local freshwater club), Cleveland Saltwater Enthusiasts Association (yes, I am that big of a fish geek that I road trip to other clubs), as well as previously serving a one-year stint on the Board of Directors of the American Marinelife Dealers Association.

Some of you may have seen my name before if you ever visit the aquatic information website Wetwebmedia, Aquarium, Pond, Marine and Freshwater Fish, reef tanks, and Aquatics Information, as I previously answered some of the emailed daily questions along with friends Anthony Calfo and site host Robert Fenner. Eventually, the demands of family and business became too great, and I had to "retire" from the WetWebMedia crew, but I am still semi-active on its message board.

I currently maintain a 120-gallon reef tank (predominantly LPS and SPS), a 1500-gallon freshwater pond, a 75-gallon winter home for yellow bellied sliders/turtles (when they aren't out in the pond), as well as numerous smaller tanks scattered throughout my house (much to the chagrin of my wife) which are used for quarantining livestock for customers. And, I am currently building a 1,150 square foot aquaculture greenhouse which houses twelve 600 gallon tanks.

I do a fair bit of public speaking traveling the country talking to hobby clubs. And I have writen a number of articles for both online and print publications. Here is a current listing:

• Pro, Steven. "Product Review: Marineland Labs/Aquarium Systems Hydrometer, Part 1." Conscientious Aquarist, July/August 2006.
New Page 1

• Pro, Steven. “The Effects of Various ‘Reef-Safe’ Treatments on Xenia sp. in a Controlled Setting, Continued.†Reefkeeping Online Magazine, June 2006.
The Effects of Various "Reef-Safe" Treatments on Xenia sp. in a Controlled Setting, Continued by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

• Pro, Steven. “Get Out of My Tank: Fish Removal Tips & Tricks.†Reefkeeping Online Magazine, June 2006.
Get Out of My Tank! Fish Removal Tips & Tricks by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

• Pro, Steven. "Where in the World is Steven Pro? - Columbus Zoo & Aquarium." Reef Hobbyist Online Magazine, May/June 2006.
Columbus Zoo Aquarium - Reef Hobbyist Online Magazine

• Pro, Steven. “Sea Salt Impressions.†Conscientious Aquarist Online Magazine, May/June 2006.
salt impressions

• Pro, Steven. “External Pump Impressions.†Conscientious Aquarist Online Magazine, March/April 2006.
By Steven Pro

• Pro, Steven. "Where in the World is Steven Pro? - Monterey Bay Aquarium." Reef Hobbyist Online Magazine, March/April 2006.
Monterey Bay Aquarium - Reef Hobbyist Online Magazine

• Pro, Steven. “Selecting Healthy and Appropriate Marine Fishes.†Reefkeeping Online Magazine, February 2006.
Selecting Healthy & Appropriate Marine Fishes by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

• Pro, Steven. “Cyanide and Its Unfortunate Use in the Marine Ornamental Industry.†Reefkeeping Online Magazine, January 2006.
Cyanide and Its Unfortunate Use in the Marine Ornamental Industry by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

• Pro, Steven. “Where I Think the Hobby Should Be Going.†Reef Hobbyist Online Magazine, January/February 2006.
Where I Think The Hobby Should Be Going - Reef Hobbyist Online Magazine

• Pro, Steven. “Pump Comparisons.†Conscientious Aquarist Online Magazine, January/February 2006.
Powerhead analysis

• Pro, Steven. “The Effects of Various ‘Reef-Safe’ Treatments on Xenia sp. in a Controlled Setting.†Reefkeeping Online Magazine, December 2005.
The Effects of Various "Reef-Safe" Treatments on Xenia sp. in a Controlled Setting by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

• Pro, Steven. “Tiny (And One Not So Tiny) Terrors of the Sea: Damsels of the Genus Dascyllus.†Reefkeeping Online Magazine, November 2005.
Tiny (and one not so tiny) Terrors of the Sea: Damsels of the Genus Dascyllus by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

• Pro, Steven. “Air Pump Impressions.†Conscientious Aquarist Online Magazine, November/December 2005.
Air Pump Impressions

• Pro, Steven. “Garlic: What Has Been Studied Versus What Has Been Claimed.†Reefkeeping Online Magazine, October 2005.
Garlic: What has been Studied Versus What has been Claimed by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

• Pro, Steven. “The Use, Overuse, and Abuse of Biological Controls.†Reef Hobbyist Online Magazine, September/October 2005.
The Use, Overuse, And Abuse Of Biological Controls - Reef Hobbyist Online Magazine

• Pro, Steven. “Inexpensive Wavemaker Impressions.†Conscientious Aquarist Online Magazine, September/October 2005.
wavemakers

• Pro, Steven. “Converting a Hagen Aquaclear 500 Power Filter into a Hang-On Refugium.†Freshwater And Marine Aquarium Magazine, August 2005.
HagenRefugArt

• Pro, Steven. “Automatic Feeder Impressions.†Conscientious Aquarist Online Magazine, July/August 2005.
Feeders

• Pro, Steven. “Marine Head and Lateral Line Erosion: A Description of the Syndrome and a Review of the Speculated Causes.†Reefkeeping Online Magazine, June 2005.
Marine Head & Lateral Line Erosion: A Description of the Syndrome and a Review of its Speculated Causes by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

• Pro, Steven. “Submersible Heater Impressions.†Conscientious Aquarist Online Magazine, May/June 2005.
Heaters

• Pro, Steven. “Variations on a Refugium: Installation Options.†Reef Hobbyist Online Magazine, March/April 2005.
Variations on a Refugium: Installation Options - Reef Hobbyist Online Magazine

• Pro, Steven. “Writing for the Ornamental Aquatics Industry.†Conscientious Aquarist Online Magazine, March/April 2005.
Aquarium Writing

• Pro, Steven & Adam Cesnales. 2005. “Unusual Stony Coral Propagation.†Reefkeeping Online Magazine, March 2005.
Unusual Stony Coral Propagation Techniques by Adam Cesnales and Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

• Pro, Steven. “Canister Filter Impressions.†Conscientious Aquarist Online Magazine, January/February 2005.
By Steven Pro

• Pro, Steven. “Powerhead Impressions.†Conscientious Aquarist Online Magazine, November/December 2004.
By Steven Pro

• Pro, Steven. “An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything.†Reefkeeping Online Magazine, October 2004.
An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

• Pro, Steven. “Impressions of Methods for Eliminating Pest Anemones.†Conscientious Aquarist Online Magazine, September/October 2004.
Impressions of Methods to Eliminate Pest Anemones

• Pro, Steven. “Protein Skimmers: A Myriad of Choices.†Freshwater And Marine Aquarium Magazine, August 2004.
SkimrArt

• Pro, Steven. “Power Filter Impressions.†Conscientious Aquarist Online Magazine, July/August 2004.
FilterMedia/Pro

• Pro, Steven. “Marine Velvet/Amyloodinium ocellatum: A Discussion of this Disease and its Available Treatment Options.†Reefkeeping Online Magazine, July 2004.
Marine Velvet/Amyloodinium ocellatum: A Discussion of this Disease and its Available Treatment Options - Reefkeeping.com

• Pro, Steven. “Protein Skimmer Impressions.†Conscientious Aquarist Online Magazine, May/June 2004.
Protein Skimmer Impressions

• Pro, Steven. “Caring for the Fish of Finding Nemo.†Freshwater And Marine Aquarium Magazine, October 2003.
NemoProArt

• Pro, Steven. “Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans: A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part 2.†Reefkeeping Online Magazine, October 2003.
Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part II by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

• Pro, Steven. “Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans: A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part 1.†Reefkeeping Online Magazine, August 2003.
Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

• Pro, Steven. “Mycobacterium marinum: The Fish Disease You Could Catch.†Reefkeeping Online Magazine, July 2003.
Mycobacterium marinum: The Fish Disease You Could Catch by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

• Pro, Steven & Anthony Calfo. “Fascinating Reproduction in Open Brain Coral: An Aquarium Report on Trachyphyllia geoffroyi.†Freshwater And Marine Aquarium Magazine, November 2002.
TrachyReproArt

Back