A couple RO/DI questions

Charliegrs

Reefing newb
Im planning on getting this RO/DI unit from Bulkreefsupply.com:
75 GPD RO/DI 5 Stage Standard System - English

1: Now I know alot of RO systems come with a faucet that you need to install, either by drilling a hole in a sink top or using an existing one. However, in an apartment situation you cant drill a hole in the top of the sink (atleast I dont think your allowed to) is there another way to do this? Like can you just leave the tube hanging into a bucket or something and let it flow into that? I dont care what it looks like, I would only use the unit to fill my tank and then do the water changes.

2: Also, I know that RO systems take a longg time to get any real amount of water out of. Are they a steady stream or more like a drip drip drip? Would it take FOREVER to fill a 55 gal tank with a unit like this?

Do you have washer/dryer hookups in your apt.? If so, you can just hook it up to there.

If your getting the 75 GPD, figure it'll take almost a full day to fill up your tank.

Most do not come with something that has to go through the top of a sink. Most of them install underneath the sink.

If you have that RODI unit running constantly, it will produce 75 gallons in a day. So it will take you a little less than 24 hours to fill a 55 gallon tank. You may want to look into getting a 100 gpd or 150 gpd unit if you are concerned about waiting a long time for water.

Most do not come with something that has to go through the top of a sink. Most of them install underneath the sink.

If you have that RODI unit running constantly, it will produce 75 gallons in a day. So it will take you a little less than 24 hours to fill a 55 gallon tank. You may want to look into getting a 100 gpd or 150 gpd unit if you are concerned about waiting a long time for water.

No Im actually not too concerned with waiting a long time. Thats what this hobby is all about anyway right? Lol. Also, when you say most come with something that install underneath the sink, where does the water come out of?

You know the hose that is the cold water line that connects the part coming out of your wall to faucet in the sink? It attaches to that. That cold water line is easy to replace when you move out. You also need to put a hole in the pipe that connects to your sink drain -- also an easy part to replace when you move out. Instead of replacing that part at my old house, I sealed up the hole with a bit of silicone. Since there is no water pressure on that pipe, it held fine.

You know the hose that is the cold water line that connects the part coming out of your wall to faucet in the sink? It attaches to that. That cold water line is easy to replace when you move out. You also need to put a hole in the pipe that connects to your sink drain -- also an easy part to replace when you move out. Instead of replacing that part at my old house, I sealed up the hole with a bit of silicone. Since there is no water pressure on that pipe, it held fine.

Yeah Im pretty good when it comes to household handyman type stuff so I shouldnt have any problem reversing any RO plumbing I do when I eventually break my lease and get kicked out lol. So I guess what I could do is put my RO line into a 5 gallon bucket and let it fill up, then when its full dump it into the tank, and continue the process all day. I dont know if thats how other people do it but it seems like the way to go. By the way, is a new 5 gallon bucket from home depot a safe place to keep RO water? Is the plastic toxic or will it leach toxins into the water?

A 5 gallon bucket from the hardware store is fine. That's what I use. I set my oven timer to 1 hour, and that's about how long it takes to fill a 5 gallon bucket for my unit. I have had too many floods and have learned to use the oven timer every time!

When I make water for a water change, I use a 35 gallon plastic trash can (like a brute or rubbermade trash can) from the hardwater store. That way I can make a lot of water at once, without having to check it all the time.

When I make water for a water change, I use a 35 gallon plastic trash can (like a brute or rubbermade trash can) from the hardwater store. That way I can make a lot of water at once, without having to check it all the time.

Oh man I never even thought about that! Thanks Biff!

No problem. Just be sure to use a plastic one.

And if you pay your own water bill (with some apartments, water is included -- I don't know about yours), keep in mind that RODI units produce a lot of waste water. Your water bill will go up. Probably not a lot. It's probably the equivalent of taking an extra shower a week or something. :dunno:

Back