A few questions for members in Phoenix, AZ

Charliegrs

Reefing newb
I do not yet have an aquarium, I am in the exhaustive research phase before I pull the trigger and get the equipment. One thing I am concerned with, is the how the extreme heat here in Phoenix will affect an aquarium. Its over 100 degrees here daily in the Summer, and can be in the high 80s/low 90s for much of the years as well. Indoors temps can be very high because of this, even with the AC on. So my main question to aquarium owners here in Phoenix (or similar enviroments elsewhere) is is it absolutely mandatory to have a chiller? Also, when your not at home, say like when your at work, do you keep the AC at the same temp you would if you were at home? For example, in my house we keep the AC at 78 when we are home in the summertime, and when we are at work we keep it at 83 so it doesnt run the electric bill through the roof. Naturally, some parts of a house are cooler than others. The house I live in now, the downstairs is dramatically cooler than the upstairs. So I will be taking that into consideration as well when and if I do finally get an aquarium. Any and all help on this will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I recommend moving out of hell. jk. There are alot of reefers on here that have fish in the desert. One of them will respond shortly.

Welcome to the site.

I live in Tucson. I don't even have AC in my house (I have a swamp cooler). I don't use a chiller. Most people don't. If you can keep your tank temps stable, then it's okay if they are slightly higher. My tank stays between 82 and 84 year round. It should be no problem for you since you have AC. If your tank stays between 78 and 83, that's fine. Stability is key.

I live in Tucson. I don't even have AC in my house (I have a swamp cooler). I don't use a chiller. Most people don't. If you can keep your tank temps stable, then it's okay if they are slightly higher. My tank stays between 82 and 84 year round. It should be no problem for you since you have AC.

Excellent! Thats the answer I was hoping for. Those chillers are really expensive and Im hoping I dont have to get one. So 84 is ok for your tank? I heard thats a bit high, but Ive also heard that a stable temp is more important than a cooler temp. Thanks for the info.

My stuff seems to do fine at 84. This summer was my first summer in my house (I bought it in August 2009). It was TERRIBLE. I never realized how horrible swamp coolers were until I had to live it! My house was in the high 80s and even low 90s all summer. NIGHTMARE. Still, my tank didn't get hot enough to harm anything. If you buy a couple clip-on desk fans from Walmart and have those blowing across the surface of the water, that can drop your tank's temps by up to 8 degrees. If I didn't have the fans blowing on my tank's surface, my tank probably would have been in the 90s. I don't use a heater either -- my pumps and lights seem to keep the tank's temperature stable year round.

Yeah, I know all about the heat too. I live between Phoenix and Tucson. No chiller as well. My te8mp changes between 78-82. If you get a little nervous you can buy a cheap fan to help with the temp. It just evaporates your water a little faster. Any way good luck and happy reefing. or fishing. I think I am right on the stuff. Biff is my fan idea correct?

I use a chiller on my Red Sea Max because of the closed lid system and there are three built in fans. I don't have to do anything to the Zero Edge; it stays cool enough.

Back