a few questions:

Sharkie

The Damsel Defender
Hola!

So i have a fewwww questions regarding equipment and fish....

first off, before I add anything else into my 75 I NEED to get new lights and a skimmer... Mom is paying for both so what brands should I get? When i get the skimmer I can nix the HOB filter right?

Secondly, I'm trying to get clearance to have one of those 3 gallon tanks (if not a 10) down in my new apartment... if i was to get the picotype (Desktop & Small Aquarium Starter Kits: Picotope 3 Gallon Aquarium Kit) could I have ONE small maroon clown in it? I just bought my sister the most adorable baby maroon (hes less than an inch long!) clown for her 20g since she only has 1 tiny damsel in it and wanted a clown and now IIIIIII want a baby maroon LOL. there are a few at the LFS and the gal gave me a good deal on the one we got so I was thinking of maybe getting myself one. would it be okay by itself in a 3 gallon if thats all I was allowed? If i'm allowed to have a 10 thats what I think I'm gonna go with but I want only ONE fish and a mini reef, maybe with a BTA :)

I was also thinking if I get a 10 that I could maybe get one of the biocube skimmers?
Oceanic BioCube Protein Skimmer

I'm not sure how well they work but it says for up to 29 gallons? Could i just stick this inside of the 10g for it to work? what light fixture would you recommend for a 10g with corals/bta? I'm thinking something affordable since I will be having to break it all down to move back home but yea :p something in the college budget. I will be setting this up during my 6 month stay and the BTA is a maybe, not a fersure thing

I think thats all for now :D

I am not sure on the other stuff but if you have a 10 do not get a skimmer. There is no need for something that small just do water changes frequently. And as far as I know the skimmers on 10s are not really that effective anyway.

okay, reason I was thinking skimmer is because I don't know if i'll have enough time to do freaquent water changes like I'd like too.... the cup thing would be easier for me :p lol

Why put yourself through the added stress? You're going to be so busy, you'll barely have any time to enjoy it. You don't want to spend every spare moment tending your tank, you need to have a little Sharkie time too.

well i have 2-3 days off and I willllll enjoy it! haha :D thats the whole point of setting it up :) I honestly can't live without fish :( so I HAVE to have something with me!!

way too small for a maroon, they can get to be like 5-6 inches long.
skip the skimmer
skip the nem, it would get to be too big for the tank
dunno on the other stuff...

you could easily have the maroon if its for 6 months, so dont worry about that. the next thing, skip the skimmer, keep some salt water ready and just do 40% changes or whatever, its only 2-5 gallon changes depending which tank you get!

dont get the nem, tank wont have strong enough lights or be established enough.

k, i was just thinkin about a nem but it was a fersure thing anyways :p

And the maroon would only be less than an inch (thats how big they are now) and I doubt he would grow THAT fast to outgrow it... he will be the only one in the as far as fish go. I'm thinking if I get the 10 allowed in my apartment I will be at least using my HOB filter that I have currently and its lid/lighting... I just was sorta thinking of upgrading it so i can have my corals and such while i'm down there :)

Back