a little help?

Discussion in 'New to Reefing' started by WhoKnows?, Aug 5, 2005.

1. WhoKnows?

WhoKnows?

I am planing a reef tank but I have a couple concerns. I was looking at a glass 75 gallon tank but the probley is the only spot I have for it is the 2nd story of my house. The house was built in 1999 so do you think if I put it next a wall that goes straight threw to the bottom floor it would be ok? Also the house has a water softener, I was wondering if this would create a problem with carbonate hardness in the water or will it be ok? thank you for your time.

WhoKnows?, Aug 5, 2005
    1. Advertisements

2. WhoKnows?

Chris

Not sure on the water softner. Water weighs something like 6lbs per gallon plus the weight of the tank. Dunno.

Chris, Aug 6, 2005
    1. Advertisements

3. WhoKnows?

jhnrb

your house should support the tank, but, there have been stories of tanks crashing through floors so you should consult a contractor for that answer. salt water is apprx. 9 lbs a gallon so you want to spread the load out over a couple floor joists. hope something here helps.

jhnrb, Aug 6, 2005
  4. WhoKnows?

Jaxon

In my last house I had 75 reef. i set it over the exterior wall of the first floor, the 2nd floor over-hang by about 2 feet, so it was perfect. Maybe you can set yours over a supporting wall thats down stairs. as far as the water, i would take a sample after it comes out of the water conditioner and before it goes into to the conditioner, to the LFS ,,, good luck... my:twocents:

Jaxon, Aug 6, 2005
  5. WhoKnows?

jhnrb

water out of a conditioner is not suitable for salt water aquaium.

jhnrb, Aug 6, 2005
  6. WhoKnows?

WhoKnows?

Thanks for all the help, My brother-in-law is a contractor so i will have him take a look at it. thanks again

WhoKnows?, Aug 6, 2005
  7. WhoKnows?

bkv1997

I'm curious why water going through a water softner isn't suitable for a reef tank.

A water softner only removes heavy metals from the water.

Many people use RO/DI water which has everything removed from it.

I'm curious on this one if anyone know the reason why it isn't suitable?

bkv1997, Aug 6, 2005
  8. WhoKnows?

jhnrb

THE NEW MARINE AQUARIUM by M. Paletta. a home water softening system is not the answer for removing heavy metals, as many of these systems dramatically change the sodium content of the water, which also will have a negative impact on marine life. If a home water softener is present, the RO/DI system should be used to correct any imbalances it creates. HOPE THIS ANSWERS YOUR QUESTON IN GENERAL.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2005
    jhnrb, Aug 7, 2005
  9. WhoKnows?

tangboy

water

Water weighs roughly 8lbs per gallon when it's clean and from the tap. You should be OK if you place the tank near a load bearing wall. Water changes are going to be fun. I hope you have a full or 1/2 bath upstairs. Do you have hardwood,tile, or carpet?

tangboy, Aug 7, 2005
  10. WhoKnows?

bkv1997

Thanks jhnrb...

I'm wondering if that is saying a softner isn't enough you should use RO/DI, or is it saying either take it from the tap or RO/DI but the softner really messes it up.

Actually an interesting concept that I personally have never thought much about, was just interested.

Thanks again
    Brandon

bkv1997, Aug 7, 2005
  11. WhoKnows?

jhnrb

if you have a water softener and you take your aquarium water form the filtered side, you should run it through an ro/di system before using it for marine aquarium make up water or for making new salt water for water changes. hope this helps.

jhnrb, Aug 8, 2005
  12. WhoKnows?

minireefer

I am late here so I cant add much.I do agree that a RO/DI unit should be used in combination with the softner.Your setup could up to 900 or more lbs.So ask your brother-in-law how much weight the spot would support a long period of time.

minireefer, Aug 8, 2005
  13. WhoKnows?

Chris

Shesh, No womnder everything was so heavy today when I was moving the tank, I thought water was 6lbs per gallon not 9! :)

Chris, Aug 8, 2005
  14. WhoKnows?

WhoKnows?

thanks for all the help i have been moving so i havent had my computer set up till now. the room will be pergo flooring when its time for the aquarium. I just drove from southern california to houston texas in 36 hours and let me tell you its not fun at all

WhoKnows?, Aug 14, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question