A question about phosphate

lisamarie806

Reefing newb
I tested my tank for phosphate, my phosphate is only like 0.25. I have done some reading that phosphate is a cause of red algae slime. I still get a very thin film of the aquarium glass. There is one thing I can`t get cleared up,it is the top of my water. I have a film of this stuff that has covered the top of my water and I run the skimmer but it does not take care of it. Would a hydro pump help take care of this problem or do I need to do something else. I have a power head in the tank maybe I need one more. Can some one give me any help with trying to get the top of my water free of this brownish/red film that has covered the top of my tank.
Thanks

You need more water flow.
Get yourself another powerhead or 2.Something like the Koralias,and I'll even suggest the K-4s.Make sure you have a fairly decent ripple on the water surface to help break that film up.

I hate to say this, but go to reefcentral.com and look in the water chemistry forum for phosphate topics. Randy Holmes Farley is a phosphate expert - it's official.
+2 Yote lots of surface flow will help your film problem like it did for me.

Re: A question about phosphate..another question

Thanks for the help I will get a koralias. I have two power heads now in my tank where I only had one. My tank is like 75 Gal. so with the canister filter I have and the two power heads should I get one hydro pump or two, should I get an, 8.5w. or higher? I know the higher I go it will be better. If I can only affrord one for now and at a smaller size, what size should I get. 8.5w,6.5w,4.5w?
Thanks

Wont do much good to use any thing smaller the a K-2.
I cant remember the GPH of those right now,but with a 75 gallon tank,you'll need 3 or 4 of em.

I had a severe problem with red slime. I bought a surface skimmer for my remora, then began using phos-lok in the skimmer return. Never had another problem. The surface skimmer will also help with surface film, esp. with extra flow.

Hi Lisa,

Everyone's got you covered. You will need the bigger Koralias. I have a 30g with (2) K1s. Also, since you are using a skimmer, I would dump your canister. You can take out the filter media and keep it for a GFO / Carbon filter, but the standard "canister" media is useless and may cause "muck" in your tank.

Here is a pic with my (2) K1s. Notice the surface.....no film buildup. (OK, so it's just an excuse to post this pic again!) :-)

IMG_6114.gif

Back