A tale of survival

Bifferwine

I am a girl
As you all know, I had quite a kenya weed and majano problem in my previous tank. So when I set up my new tank, I took the precaution of boiling all my rock.

After I boiled the rock, I had several small pieces that I just didn't have a place for in my tank yet. I left those rocks in a tub of tap water. No salt, no dechlorinator, nothing. Just plain tap water. I put a lid on that tub, and let it sit for a month.

Today I am getting around to cleaning up all the misc. fish stuff in my living room. I get to the tub, take off the lid, and this is what it looks like:

IMG_2601.jpg

Oh god does it smell! And there's this disgusting white film on the surface of the water.

I start pulling out the little pieces of rock. "Ooh now that I have my tank set up, I can use some of these pieces!!"

And I find...

IMG_2602.jpg

IMG_2600.jpg

Freaking kenya weed. Alive. Hanging on for dear life.

So it's been boiled, submerged in tap water for one month with no light and no oxygen... YET IT SURVIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you still can. But if I had to do it again, I would boil them, then let them bake outside in the sun for a month.

I'm re-boiling all those little pieces right now. But instead of boiling them for 5 to 10 minutes like I did last time, I'm making rock stew out of them. Those guys are going to be boiling all afternoon!!

Last edited:
thats gonna be one stinky stew!

they can grow like a weed, I have them in my 180 I think they are nice looking corals, when I want to thin them out I just do extra water changes they don't seem to like really clean water. It works for me everytime...

I have one at the moment, growing out of an old turbo snail shell. It's a nice red color. I didn't know if it was a nuicance type of coral though. Should I take it out?

They can get to be a nuisance if you don't keep them in check. And they are hard to control because they drop their arms to spread, and you can't kill them just by pulling them off the rocks. It's up to you if you want to keep it or not. If it's just one, I'd say to be careful to watch it if it starts to drop its arms.

After seeing Biffs Kenya weed stew,I'm wandering just how many are growing in my septic system and how long its gonna take for them to grow up through the pipes.:grumble:

thats just like the crab i found in my old fuge when i disconnected it for like a month.. no air, little water, no light, and that crab was just happily chugging along.. ida figured everything woulda died, but, i guess my crabs and your weeds and we can take over the world(one tank at a time) hehehe

Hmm. It doesn't appear to be dropping any arms...

just give it sometime it will before you know it.

I just gardened some of mine out of my tank last night, they were getting pretty close to my sps. I also have a snail that is carrying one around, the little sucker. :mrgreen:

Back