a thought on multiple pico's

Projekt-Apex

Reefing newb
I was considering trying to build a custom display and decided I should ask if anyone has done or seen something like this. Has anyone ever seen a display of multiple pico display tanks run from one very big fuge? I think there are a lot of interesting and beautiful species of coral/inverts/fish that all have there own individual qualities. This led me to thinking about a multi display that could have varied species but displayed in their own tank with their own lighting conditions etc. My origional idea was to build a large heavy bookcase for all my history books and include a few shadow box like spaces that would contain these multiple pico tanks. I planned on them being about a gallon and a half to three gallons each (varying sizes may be more pleasing to the eye) with a single sump/fuge contained within a cabinet at the base of the shelf. Overall shelf would be approx. twelve feet wide, eight feet high and fourteen inches deep. I figured building this from scratch would be way better than trying to retrofit an existing unit (wiring for lights, plumbing, etc.)

Any ideas, advice, name calling etc.? If I go forward with this project I will be sure to post tons of pics and step by step stuff so if it's never been built before we can all learn from my success or failure. Any and all advice or ideas are always very welcome.:D

Last edited:
It's possible that if you have a disease or algae outbreak in one of the tanks it could be carried over to the other tanks through the fuge. But, it does sound like a very cool and interesting project. If you decide to go forward, I can't wait to see the pics

It does sound really cool. I envision a bunch of pico tanks connected with 3/4" PVC and bulk heads. Like a daisy chain of picos all lined up.

The water line in each tank needs to be the same height as you move across a row of bookshelves.

I'm wanting to do a single 3g pico with a 10g sump.

I started thinking about this idea while in the LFS and looking at their multiple connected tanks that house their livestock and all run as one big system. I did consider the risk of cross contamination via the fuge but figured that it wouldn't be alot different than having disease or algea in one big tank. I am kinda looking at it like one tank divided into several displays with the main focus being each specimine having it's own tuned lighting, substrate etc. to better display it's own individual attributes. Also thought it may be a good learning tool, observe individuals under different lighting conditions etc. instead of changing the light for a whole community to discover the effects of just one coral. I was thinking of making the whole system in the 75-100 gallon range with displays accounting for roughly one third of that. I'm gonna need several variable flow pumps. I get that feeling that this project has the ability to grow into an obsession....... currently thinking individual pico systems with fuges to simulate varying geographic conditions. A nano's/pico's around the world concept! Carribean, hawaiian, fijian, mangrove, etc. What is it about reef keeping that makes you happy to empty your wallet and drive yourself mad?:frustrat:

Back