ac jr controllers?

PM,Jhnrb(John).

He has one on his awesome system and could tell you everything about.He recommended it to me,I personally want the one above the Jr.

How good a controller will be for the individual is up to the individuals set up and their expectations. If you are using electronic ballasts then you can have problems with using the X-10 controls typically used with lower level systems. Direct connect modules are more expensive when purchased for controllers. If you already have an electronic Ph meter than you are basically just buying a wavemaker and lighting timers that still require X-10 or hard wire units to use them. The cost outlay for a beginning level controller really doesn't financially make much sense unless you are using CO2 or have no other monitors and timers already purchased. The controllers will do nothing by themselves. They control switches/modules which must be purchased seperately as must the temperature probe and the pH probe. The switches actually turn the things on and off when the controller signals the switches. The real tue advantage to the controllers is consolidation and decreased clutter and cords. Every thing that is really good about the controllers cost more due to the need for probes and expansion boxes etc. or requires a better level of controller. I have bought a lot of controllers over the years and still buy them but I sure wish I did not need them to be profitable as the costs add up quick in any thing but a very simple installation. One thousand to fifteen hundred in a large remote capable system is not uncommon. This does allow control remotely as well as remote monitoring and complete documebntation of monitored parameters and such, but there are cheaper ways, and seemingly saner ways. Things like best lighting, best skimmer , best circulation system, bigger tank all usually come before controllers in most reefers reef systems.

Last edited:
I use the aqua controller jr. for operating fans lights and pumps on my main tank. it controls my lighting cycles, pumps, and exhaust fans depending on how hot the hood gets. it also turns off the mh if temp continues to rise one at a time and keeps um off for one hour before restarting. I use direct wire boxes that have 4 outlets each for a total of 3 boxes and 12 outlets. 150 or 160 for each box and few hundred for the controller with temp probe. Go to Neptune.com and review all the data on the controllers. there are package deals for the ac jr. with an 8 outlet strip. also check around as there are other controller systems out there with less flexability. the Ac jr provides a true moon cycle capability as it adjusts the moon phase automatically so the moon lights act just like the real moon. the lighting is set up to simulate 15* north lattitude so you can program your lighting system. hope this helps as there is some cost at hand for this system. I chose it because it provided the best versatility for cost at the time.

do you all think that now would be a good time to purchase an ac jr? i know we are close to the reef keeper elite release, and i figure with that in the market, i would drive the prices down on the other controllers to remain competitive. also, ive heard of some whispers of diy controllers, anything on that? thank you all!

I personally am awaiting the release of the reefkeeper elite, it really looke like it is gonna be a nice unit. I currently have been using a Octopus 3000 unit which is basically the same as the aqaucontroller 3 high end unit. It cost about twice what the reefkeeper elite will cost, but I like several advantages to the reefkeeper. the reefkeeper can be flushmounted. which I like to make things very organised so it is a plus to me. and switching to a DC8 or DC$ is priceless. I currently use X10 modules, which also have an advantage of being used anywhere in the house. I control a kalk reactor in my down stairs and controll my tank in the middle level of the house and can control lights in my upstairs. the down side like fatman said is they are suceptable to radio interference. I have one light in my downstairs that if left on will keep my metal halides from cutting off on a different floor of the house! so if that were a calcium reactor there would be some serious trouble. anyway, all that to say DC8s and 4s are priceless. I have heard alot fo good things about the aquacontroller jr as well, my best friend uses one and loves it. it doesnt flush mount otherwise it might be more affordable. good luck with your purchase

I personally am awaiting the release of the reefkeeper elite, it really looke like it is gonna be a nice unit. I currently have been using a Octopus 3000 unit which is basically the same as the aqaucontroller 3 high end unit. It cost about twice what the reefkeeper elite will cost, but I like several advantages to the reefkeeper. the reefkeeper can be flushmounted. which I like to make things very organised so it is a plus to me. and switching to a DC8 or DC$ is priceless. I currently use X10 modules, which also have an advantage of being used anywhere in the house. I control a kalk reactor in my down stairs and controll my tank in the middle level of the house and can control lights in my upstairs. the down side like fatman said is they are suceptable to radio interference. I have one light in my downstairs that if left on will keep my metal halides from cutting off on a different floor of the house! so if that were a calcium reactor there would be some serious trouble. anyway, all that to say DC8s and 4s are priceless. I have heard alot fo good things about the aquacontroller jr as well, my best friend uses one and loves it. it doesnt flush mount otherwise it might be more affordable. good luck with your purchase
Yote could probably make a nice flush mounting plate out of stainless if pressed. Square holes would be a little work, but doable.

Just looked up the costs to remotely monitor and run one of my tanks with a AC 3 Pro. $1359.75 for a main tank. Each additional tank would run about $700. That is for everything but dissolved oxygenmonitoring. The probe for reading dissolved oxygen costs $550 each. That is with direct connect modules instead of X-10 units. The direct connect require a cable of low voltage wire running from controller to outlet strips. The X-10 use signals sent over your power lines that your controller and X-10 units are plugged into. If you have a large circuit panel with two banks of circuit breakesr you are supposed to only put X-10 units on circuits on the same side of panel as your controller. This can cause problems with multiple tanks in different rooms or floors, as your at the mercy of the electrician who waired your panel. You can do some switching of wiring if you know what your doing, pretty simple, however it might be that your wires will be to short and by code you can not splice wires in a circuit breaker panel. Expect at least $500 to $750 to utilize most of the capability of a AC junior.

Last edited:
Back