acan question

tankedchemist

Reef enthusiast
So, I got a nice acan frag a while back. The LFS guy said put it in a low flow, fairly dark area on the sandbed. SO, I did, but now they're not looking very happy. Was LFS dude wrong? Or could something else be affecting them?

All the other corals look happy as can be. I've got t5's, and params all test out fine. Ideas?

Are you feeding them?

I placed my Pandora micromussa, not exactly Acans but not too far off I believe, in the middle of my, moderate flow and under direct light. I've grown 5 new heads in about 2 months. Don't know if that's fast or not but they seem to enjoy it, even when my hermits and snails knock it off my rock.

I'm not spot feeding them directly, no. hmm. I will have to give that a try. :)

Def. start spot feeding mysis. All the heads will gobble it up.

Also, I tried to say I have mine in the middle, height wise, in my tank. So you should try moving your Acans up.

Have any pics? I love Acans. I'm going to pickup a frag of some GIANT red one with purple eyes.

I feed my acans Marine Cuisine with a turkey baster. You have to sorta creep up on them slowly and don't blast the food at them. If they feel you coming in too fast they will retract. Move slow and just let the food trickle out of the turkey baster via gravity.

My acans are under 144w of T5 lights in a 24" deep 30g tank. That might give you an indication of how much light they can adapt too. My tank is quite bright. Some acans are 6" under the water and some are in the middle and some are on the bottom. They are all doing well.

The ones near the surface get BLASTED with a MJ1200 powerjead with a Hydor rotating attachment. They get blown around quite a bit. Doesn't bother them a bit. they adapt to flow. The ones near the bottom get that same blast of flow when the Hydor rotates around and hits the side glass. It bounces off the hits them almost full force.

I can take a short video tomorrow if you'd like.

I'd move them up to the middle of the tank and give them moderate to medium flow. Feed them once or twice a week until they show signs of improvement. Then slow down to once a week or 10 days between feedings. They can live off just the trace elements in the water. Feeding produces polyps. But it takes a long time for them to absorb enough calcium out of the water and grow the bone skeleton underneath. Don't overfeed them and grow 100 polyps if the skeleton isn't big enough to support them. They will grow, but it takes time.

Now post some pics!!! :D

I LOVE acans and I GOTTA see em!! Actually, I LOVE all LPS corals. I love the big fluffy polyps. My blue candy canes finally found a spot they like (after almost a year of moving them around the tank) and they are growing and splitting like crazy now.

Last edited:
Wellllllllllllll ?

You're such a tease. 3 days without pics of the new coral?

I am officially filing a NO PICS PROTEST. I will submit my application to Yote for his approval. :protest: Penalties for no pics are severe. I suggest you post some pics or call a lawyer!! :mrgreen: You're about to be in DEEP doo-doo young lady.

Wellllllllllllll ?

You're such a tease. 3 days without pics of the new coral?

I am officially filing a NO PICS PROTEST. I will submit my application to Yote for his approval. :protest: Penalties for no pics are severe. I suggest you post some pics or call a lawyer!! :mrgreen: You're about to be in DEEP doo-doo young lady.

Rc,Your application has been approved and steps are being taken to handle the afore mentioned infraction of the pic policy.:D

Back