Acclimatising a Regal Tang

Apestyler

Reefing newb
Hi all,

I have just got my second fish which is a regal tang, the LFS instructed me to do the usual place bag in water and slowly add tank water into the bag for around 2 1/2 hours. However the Regal appears to be laying on its side and then jumping up when 'Jenny' the clown comes to investigate - I've heard this is normal behavior for some tangs, is it so for Regal Tangs?

Thanks

bkv1997 said:
depending on the size 2 1/2 hours in a bag could be a bit on the long side.....

I usually just drip acclimate my fish for 30 minutes...

But to answer your question yes they do lay on their sides.

See mine at www.tuckervolner.com/fishtank.htm

Thanks for the reply and putting my mind at rest on them laying on their sides.

He's now in the tank and after hiding for a couple of hours he has come out although I have noticed the following behaviour;

- He's chasing his reflection in the glass and won't move from that side of the tank!

- Jenny the percula clown seems to be rather 'pissed off' at the new arrival and is either hiding or swimming at the top of the tank

Guessing this is all normal for new fish and territories etc

Who knows what fish think, I have a naso tang that follows my trigger like she's in love, everywhere the trigger goes the tang is right behind.

Chris said:
Who knows what fish think, I have a naso tang that follows my trigger like she's in love, everywhere the trigger goes the tang is right behind.

LOL @ your naso & trigger!

Well I have been out for most of the day and when I got back the regal tang had come out from his hiding area and was activiely swimming around :) he also was feeding good aswell :D - Pictures soon (I promise!!!)

Just a word of advice about the regal.

Get a veggie clip and give him live calurpa and dried seaweed from time to time..if not he will start to develope lateral line.

just a suggestion.

Apestyler said:
LOL @ your naso & trigger!

Well I have been out for most of the day and when I got back the regal tang had come out from his hiding area and was activiely swimming around :) he also was feeding good aswell :D - Pictures soon (I promise!!!)

bkv1997 said:
Just a word of advice about the regal.

Get a veggie clip and give him live calurpa and dried seaweed from time to time..if not he will start to develope lateral line.

just a suggestion.

Hi bkv - I have some seaweed sheets and a clip on order ... in the meantime he is getting fed Frozen Spinach ... the clownfish seems to like it aswell!

Cheers!

Well its been nearly a coupla weeks since we added him and he's doing great apart from 2 things;

- He likes sleeping inbetween the rocks and seems to accidently rub his body against them resulting in quite a few small grazes and scratches ... is this common?

- He's scared of the nori (seaweed) and won't go near it ... the cleaner shrimp and the crabs seem to finish it off

Yes mine sleeps horizontal on his side between to rocks.

He will eat the seaweed, might take him a couple feedings to realize its for him.

Branodn

Thanks mate - I've guessing his scratches from the rocks will heal over time ... was just a tad worried that he might be hurting himself

Can you post a picture of the scratches?

The spots around his eyes aren't from the rocks....

That is often refered to lateral line disease and will be resolved slowly if you feed him the proper diet.

Post a pic of the scratches please.

Its not round his eyes and I doubt its lateral line disease as the LFS were feeding greens and so have I, I am 99% sure its from banging into rocks as they suddenly appeared one morning, and he had lovelly colouring before that.

I wish I could get a photo but my digital camera isn't fast enough to get a clear picture of him - Sorry!

Awesome!! Hey my trigger wedges himself in between rocks every night to sleep. I thought he was dead the first time I witnessed it.

Back