Acropora care & Candy Cane Question

twps

Reefing newb
I picked up some frags a few weeks ago from a local hobbyist. Because prices were so cheap I picked up one of everything he had. We discussed the care of each, and I was familiar with some as I've been doing a lot of research. I picked up the following:

Pink Birds Nest
Green Star Polyps
Candy Cane (2 heads)
Green Acropora

The acropora frag was 3/4" tall single little branch. I placed it in my tank on the plug it came on after acclimatization and it appeared to be doing well. The polyps come out daily. I moved it over the weekend and glued it to a piece of LR in the final location. My concern is that I noticed the base is bleaching to the first set of polyps. The polyps come out on the rest of the frag. I read these are difficult to care for, and I was hesitant to buy, but the guy I bought from said he had it since he started the hobby and had no issues. I've got it placed mid water level (9" from surface) under a pair of T5 HO's, and it's getting good flow. Is there anything I should be doing differently?

Secondly, the candy cane he sold me had 2 heads, a third had been stung by a close by coral and was dead. I removed the dead piece. The two heads are on their own stem attached to a longer piece of stem which branched to the third head. Is it okay to leave it on this or should I trim it back? I assumed it would continue to grow around this.

Thanks for your help in advance.

How new is your tank? What are all your water params? How many watts of t5's do you have? Acro's require higher lighting and higher flow. They are very sensitive to unstable water conditions. If it's starting to bleach then something isn't right for it where it is.

The candy cane coral will be just fine. No need to cut off the dead part as its only skeletal structure left.

The Acro isnt getting enough light,IMO.
2 T-5s just isnt enough for em.

On the Candy Cane,just leave it.It'll eventually grow new heads around the rest.

I was worried about the lighting too, Yote. I decided to try it as the seller had a larger tank with the same lighting.

Water params all in check. 8.4PH, 0 ammonia, nitrate & nitrites. Salinity 1.025 calcium 400/420

Alkalinity readings... Good question. I don't test for that today. Honestly, I've been having issues finding a test kit. When I ask for an alk test kit at any LFS they look at me funny. Is this the same a GH/KH hardness test - that's what they've tried to sell me.

I agree with the lighting thing... i have my birds nest as high as possible in my tank, like an inch under the water surface, and it does well and always fully open. Its also in pretty strong current.

Oh, and I also have t5s.... 3 of them, it was 4 but one of the ballasts went out due to the fantastic quality of Odyssea merchandise.

My Acro sits higher than my birdsnest frags. The birdsnests are doing great one sits high in the tank, the other lower all frags have great flow.

Back