Acrylic or Glass

Glass, hands down. Although in larger tanks, acrylic is lighter, it scratches very easily, especially with sand and live rock in the tank. This makes it very difficult to clean, and algae will grow in the scratches in the acrylic, and is nearly impossible to get rid of. I would avoid an acrylic tank as much as possible!

Do they make a glass/acrylic hybrid tank? Would be lightweight with a glass front for viewing benefits.

Hmm.... Let me head over to the US Patent website really quick...give me 10 minutes!

No, but they make Starphire tanks. Starphire is glass that's almost as clear as acrylic with none of the downsides, and most of the benefits of glass.

I wouldnt ever have an acrylic tank. I have a glass and a buddy of mine has a acrylic his is all scrached up while mine is still rockin without the scratches:Cheers:

Do they make a glass/acrylic hybrid tank? Would be lightweight with a glass front for viewing benefits.

Hmm.... Let me head over to the US Patent website really quick...give me 10 minutes!

Yes,sorry.

I have a glass tank being built and they asked if I wanted glass or acrylic for the bottom.

I have two glass tanks and one acrylic tank. The acrylic tank is far more difficult to clean. And yes it scratches easier, however glass will scratch as well if you're not careful. I have seen glass tanks that you could hardly see into because of the scratches.

Back