Acrylic Tank

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
Yeah so I have been scouring around for a use 180Gal tank.

The dimensions for a 180 are 72x24x24

So I called this place here locally and they can cut me the pieces out of 3/4 inch acrylic for $458 and would be willing to assemble it as well but not sure how much. The guy said they used to make big tank but the liability and issues were to much but that if they sell it to me as a water tight box it would be ok.

So he explained how they used special screws and it has to be perfectly square and so on as if he really was concerned and interested in assembling it for me.

Never got a price for it but who know maybe it comes to $600 fully assembled and maybe they can use the scrap to make me overflos or little platforms on top to rest stuff on.

I mean if I can visualize maybe how I can use the scrap for half covers or something.

I doubt there would be enough to make the right size sump but that would be great.

SO if it is $600 assembled would it be worth it to get acrylic over glass or is acrylic such a pain in the long run it isn't worth it just because of cleaning it.

I know about the scratches and will just try to be extra careful during set-up.

I was thinking too bad I couldn't sell them and just double to price and stiil cost less than any place I have found.

I got my 55 gallon acrylic on craigslist for $75.00. It didn't have any scratches before. Now, careful as I've been, there are scratches everywhere. I have had it a little over 2 years, and am now thinking about going back to glass. I wanted acrylic to start with because of how easy you can drill your own holes, (I don't care for the overflow box look). I do know that a large tank like 180 would be substantially lighter than a glass 180. Sounds like quite a project you have going!

I am a few months out from buying unless.the perfect storm rolls by but yes it will be cool to start when it comes time.

Yeah I know about the scratches but its so cheap for the tank. I have seen many that have not one scratch but I can't chance it I guess.

Local fish joint out here, can get a brand new 240g glass tank, just a glass box, for $600. You might want to check around.

There is a place here that has a 225 with stand for like $2000.

They also have a 180 with the stand for like $1499

I have just seen some 180's with the sump and skimmer and pumps for like $1000.

Basically I do not want to spend over $1000 and have been looking for that perfect deal but the biggest issue is that I need it to have a cherrywood stand and with that it is making it very hard to get.

Just think a 180 in good shape with back panel overflos, with a cherrywood stand that isn't ugly with the equipment is like finding a needle in a haystack. :frustrat:

Well I have some time for now, like maybe a month or 3 before I need to make more room for my Hippo. I can already see it is a hair bigger. Actually the Blue Damsel I have has actually looked a little bigger and also my corals are all looking like they have grown some.

The good thing is that I am on the look for now and will have it sooner or later and then I can get a Naso Tang and maybe another one. Just not till I have a larger tank. The Hippo is so tiny now but that is for another thread.

Welp you know what. With limited options, I'd get the acrylic tank that you were looking at. Polish it up and put it into play. You'll just have to be very careful when cleaning. Then wory about the glass aquarium later, when the fends are available. The one bonus about acrylic is that it is optically clear.

I think if you get acrylic, you will regret it in about 3 months. Just get one grain of sand trapped in your scraper, and it will be ruined.

Well it isn't so much the funds as it is whats available I guess. I mean if it is really nice then things can still be purchased.

With the grain of sand thing, man I would guess rinsing your scraper before each use is a must but how can you do near the bottom of the tanks.

I always see those acrylic ones in public and they are always so clean and nice. I did notices scrapes at the Georgia aquarium is places though.

I still have to upload the pix. zzzzzzzzzz

You make one clean swipe at the bottom near the substrate. Not lifting your scrubber off the acrylic, so as to not get anything trapped inbetween.

Have you considered making a stand, or just finding a used one, stripping and staining it to the right color? Staining is extremely cheap and easy, if you have a circular or table saw building a stand is really cheap and easy as well, plus you can customize it.

Back