Added some dry base rock this weekend

Hiker4twenty

Reef enthusiast
I picked up 11.3lbs of white, dry, base rock to add to my existing tank. I soaked it on a bucket of RO/DI water over night so rinse all the rock dust off so it wouldn't could up on my DT. This morning I added it to my tank while doing a water change. It looks strange in the tank since its bone white. How long until it will stat getting some life on it?

I hope that white goes away quickly. I looks so naked, but I can't be $14 for 11lbs of rock that will be just as good as LR in a few months.

Update on the dry rock. So after 3 weeks the rocks are getting some color. They still stand out from the existing LR because they're more white, but they are getting some coraline. They're also turning greyish and brownish in spots like the rest of my LR. I'd have to say that for the money I saved I couldn't be happier with the decision to add dry rock to my tank. I'll be purching more soon. I advise anyone in doubt to add dry rock and see for yourself. If you have patients then it's for you.

after 2 months, ive just started to get little bits of coraline on my base rock, hopefully soon it will explode with life! haha

I used the Key Largo rock to set up my 25 gallon. It was all really nice. Shipping is free for that right now so it balances out and you don't have to worry about curing it, just seeding it.

yea i've seen them but it doesnt seem worth it, they want $109 for 50 lbs of dry rock, i can get 45 lbs live fiji for $79 right now from liveaquaria....

That is a good price for anybody needing cheap live rock.I can tell basic fiji is like concrete,not pretty and not very porous.Basically,you are paying for live bacteria and for maybe some aiptasia.Since Marco rocks are dry and porous.....50lbs is much more then wet/soaked live rock.

thats very cool, anyone got a link for a good place to get cheap base rock?
If you live by a stone yard, call them and see if they have "lace rock", its some gorgeous rock and is very porus. I have always used it and have had good results. It takes coraline instantly, plus lace rock comes in any shape your looking for. I have had soooo many compliments on my lace rock shelf rock, people asking where I got it, etc. Its actually my show piece rock right now.

Back