Adding additional live sand to an already established tank.

joshuashih1

Seahorse Owner
I currently have a 10 gal saltwater fish tank. Its been setup for over 2 years now and the sand is becoming to thin due to the fact that whenever I remove algae from the sand it takes a little with it. Would it be right to remove the rocks and add another layer of live sand on top of the current sand bed, then put the rocks back? Help would be appreciated as I am uncertain what to do about this issue and hate having a thin sand bed. (its so thin in some places that the rocks in some places are touching the glass and I don't like that. Please give advice.

i would get live sand, but you could use dry sand too. if you use dry then rinse it very well before you add it. use a small container and slowly and carefully sink the container under the water and slowly pour it out where you want it. leave your rocks on the bottom so they stay stable. expect a little cloudyness for a couple days, and your skimmer will go nuts.

I use a container that has a screw top. Fill it with LIVE sand. Open the top very little, just enough to sink it. Slowly dump the live sand where you need it. That way your tank does not rain sand.

Back