Adding air to salt water?

droth

Reefing newb
I'm wondering if it would beneficial to add an air stone to the large pale that I'm mixing my salt water in? Sometimes my water can sit for a week or two with just a heater and power pump. What are your thoughts on this?

David

No it does have a power head to move the water around but I only change about 20 percent of the aquarium water ever two weeks so it does sit for a while. So no air you say, thanks.

I dont think there is any life that you would be preserving in that mix water. So air stone is not need. Maybe a pump to keep it mix very well. Just my 2 cent.

Air stones are a fresh water technology. There's no reason to use them. If you do it'll mess with the pH of your water.

Thanks for the comments gang. I'm just trying to think outside the box for anything that may help make the water quality better for my aquatic family.

David

What are your thoughts on aerating your water to get rid of Co2 ? I heard that Co2 produces carbonic acid that can drive Alk and PH down. I have this problem with my water in my freshwater tank and my pond. Someone told me this, I don't know all the in's and out's of the logic. I have PH out of my tap at 9, but some how it will go down in the tanks and pond.

I use airstones occasionally to create flow but they really do not add that much oxygen to the water --skimmers will though.

From what I've read, it's suppose to be around 8 drops or above. The last time I tested, it was 3 drops .. or 53.7 ppm. It's the same in my freshwater also. It's an ongoing battle :frustrat:

All I know is that if the Alk is too low, it lowers the PH. At least that is the way it is in my tank. I've had my freshwater crash a lot. I don't know all the technical part of what ALK does. Someone more knowledgeable in that will have to chime in.

I don't test a lot, I probably should .. but the last time I tested, my PH was 7.2 in the freshwater and 7.6 in the saltwater.

I don't test a lot, I probably should .. but the last time I tested, my PH was 7.2 in the freshwater and 7.6 in the saltwater.

Wow that is low so is your Alk you should try dosing with Bionic or Bluk reef supply has a cheaper two part system that is very easy to use and cost effective.

What kind of salt are you using?

I'm using Oceanic now. I have tried Kent and SeaChem. The same thing happens no matter what salt I use. I even add buffer to the salt when I mix it. The water in the tote is PH 7.8 KH 10 drops .. 179.

Well I guess that it depends on what type of coral you are keeping. Try checking your Mag and Ca as well. I know that Bulkreefsupply.com has two systems for the Alk and Ca, one will slightly raise the Ph and One will lower it. I have found that my sps coral like higher Alk up around 10 or 11 dkh. Keep in mind that dosing 2 part will also over time raise the salt level so keep an eye on that if you dose.

Back