Adding Live Rock to a cycling tank

heatherc369

Reefing newb
Our 125 gal tank has been running for just a few days, and we came across an opportunity to purchase a protein skimmer, over 100 lbs of live rock, and a t 5 light for $150. I have read how to cure live rock, but let's say this rock is in an already established tank that is currently up and running ( I'm still not sure if that's the case I'm waiting to hear back) how do I go about adding it to my tank? ( all that's in there now is the water, salt and sand)

Technically you could just toss it in there; expect some die off, but that's fine cuz you're cycling anyway. It will speed it up.

But if you can get some of that person's old tank water to transport it in, then when you get it home, you can scrub off any detritus or algae on it. The last thing you want is a rock covered in unwanted algae. Scan for aiptasia too. But this is just me being overly cautious :)

They look like this:

images

If left unchecked, they can spread and grow and they sting corals and fish. If you see one, kill it with AiptasiaX or Joe's Juice. I've had 1 in my old sump and one in my dt....killed both before they got too big ;)

Back