Adding new Fish?

jkeating2005

I am Addicted for sure!
Hello Everyone,

I just got my tank set up. its a 46 gallon.

I purchased 2 Black Percula Clownfish

i was thinking of going also with a poweder blue tank and a raccoon butterflyfish

Would this combination work in my tank?

thank you!

Joe

Surly you didnt set the tank up and add the clowns the same day did you?
If so,Then I'd advise taking the clowns back to the LFS and having them hold the clown untill your tank has cycled.

In a 46,The powder blue is out.The tanks to small.It'll just keep the tang stresses and covered in ick untill it dies.The raccoon butterfly MIGHT be ok in there,but forget about LPS and SPS corals with it.

first off is the tank cycled? if no take the clowns out and give them back to your LFS. if it is then disregard that whole statement i just made.

no tang will be good for your tank, it is way to small.

and any type of butterfly fish will only work in your tank if you plan on going FOWLR since butterflys are 100% not reef safe

oh yes. i am i newbie. i should have said. but the tank is cycled. i took it in for a water test. i set it up about a week ago!

its 46 gallon bowfront with an over the back overflow and 10 gallon sump.
i think i said all of that right! :shock:

saltwater tanks are very new to me.

Is there any type of tang that would be able to fit into my tank?:^:

no one the tangs, because they LOVE to swim, you might be able to get away with a very small yellow or purple tang or some sort of tang in that family, but you would need to get rid of it once it starts to grow. also its possible but i dont think your tank cycled that quickly. how much sand and live rock do you have in there? are you running a skimmer?

Nope no tang for you. At least not until you get a bigger tank. Something with a four foot footprint at least not including a 55. 75 or 90 then youre in business.

i have about 60 pounds of sand and 35 pounds of live rock!

Is there any other fish that you would recomend. i like bright color fish. i am color blnd and those are the only colors that i can really see.

about the cycling...how long does it usually take? i bought the water from my LFS. and then took in a sample today and they said it was ready....hmmmmm....?

i think since you havent had it set up long enough for you to have an ammonia spike start so thats why you might be getting those good readings, and the water has nothing to do with it, its about the bacteria level and the good stuff to be in your tank.

It's possible that seeing you used live sand and cured live rock you could miss the cycle. Was it cured live rock? I hope you have test kits because I would keep my eyes open for at least a mini cyle.

just to be safe i would take them back and tell the fish store to hold them for you and just wait just to make sure you dont have a cycle, better to be safe then sorry

Back