Adding sand

classyfish

Reefing newb
We currently have a 29 gallon biocube with a bare bottom. We would like to add live sand and I have 2 questions. The only thing in the tank is a clown fish and a small bubble tip anemone(I think) The anemone has attached itself to the bottom of the tank. Is it ok for me to move it to add the sand and if so how? Also do we take all the live rock out and then put in the sand or can we add the sand with the live rock already in place?

i would add the sand with the rock in place. if you are going to add the sand with the fish and inverts in the tank i would put the sand in a bag and cut out a corner. keep it closed untill you get the bag to the bottom of the tank and slowly let it out. this should help to keep it out of the rest of the tank. also ive heard that if you wet the sand first is can help a great deal. be sure and wet the sand with tank water and not tap water

When you add the sand, the tank will become very cloudy, and could potentially start a small cycle. You may want to move both animals to a separate tank until the dust settles and you are comfortable your parameters are stable.

Also, your tank may be a bit young for an anemone, so I would carefully monitor its heath, and if it deteriorates, bring it back to your LFS for safe keepint while you tank matures.

Be careful when moving the anemone, as you dont want to tear the foot. I find it best to blow a power head directly on him, and he will up and move himself. You could also very gently, over about a half hour, work a finger underneath the foot and pull it off very slowly. May want to wear gloves for this as anemones have a mild sting.

Good luck!

yeah i second navarchus. even the bag trick still leaves the water cloudy. you may want to consider adding it a little at a time over several days by a hand full. that will keep the particulates in the water down and you dont have to find somewhere else to put the fish

Back