Adding Sea Hare

Nonfamous

Reefing newb
Its been in acclimation for a little over an hour. Rougly one hour left. Should I just dump it in the tank or should I try to gently sit it on a rock or on the bottom?

i will say this for the hare they are very dirty it seems like it come out just as fast as it goes in lol. but mine has done a wonderfull job cleaning up my diatoms

Well, its in the tank and...... its not on the sand where I need it! Silly thing is on the rocks and I don't have algae on the rocks!

Actually I'm not sure what kind it is! I know, that's kinda stupid of me. It is brown/green. Does that help? It is one ugly critter but....... there is something charming about it. I can't define it yet. I haven't peaked in yet this morning to see if anything has been accomplished. I did notice it disappeared when the daylights went off. Well, I couldn't see it anyway. It's that normal?

My new SSS looked happy but I will have to keep a close eye on it as well. Gotta make sure it eats well.

is the back side of flat kinda like it was cut off if so that is a blunt end sea hare and yes they r ugly but amazing i was shocked at how mine has cleaned up my tank. i feel it was a good investment. i have a question on them if any one could help. would there be a problem once my diatoms clear up if i put it in my refuge and let him feed on the algee in there?

My understanding is that the are huge eaters and will starve eventually. Even if you have lots of algae for them to eat, you cant grow it fast enough to keep up with its appetite.

they r big eaters i have had mine for almost 2 weeks look in my post in the tank show case i have a pic of mine in there. how is yours doing with eating your algee

Well phooey! I'm going to take this guy back to the LFS. I REALLY like him, but I'm afraid he is going to starve in my tank. He is not eating the stuff on the sand at all. He has cleaned the rocks within an inch of their lives and the corners of the tank are very clean. He even cleaned the back glass that I never clean....but that's about it. Not going after my issue at all.

He is fascinating to watch though.

I'd hold off returning him a little longer. He's probably going for the more appetizing stuff first, but once he's done with that he may turn to the stuff on your sand because its all thats left. I bet he'll start eating it once he gets hungry! Hows the SSS doing?

The SSS is doing okay. I actually had to break up some of the gunk on the sand so it could get under it. I haven't done much to it lately and it's about 1/4" thick. It couldn't seem to get thru it.

Well I'm just sick today. Very sad. The Sea Hare is gone. I thought it would give me some idea that it was time to take it back, but it didn't. I am sick about this. Devastated. Not sure where I'll go from here. Not only this, but I also found a dead crab in my tank. I didn't even know I had a crab in my tank! Too bad I never got to see it alive.

Might be time for me to take a break from this until I have a better grip on things.

Give it a few days before you give up on finding the hare. They are masters at blending in with the rock.
That's my biggest complaint with those slugs. Been several times that I've told customers we'd sold em all, only to see one crawling along the glass an hour later.

Back