additive/supplement question

mojuave

Reefing newb
Ok so my tank is running great thanks for all previous help on here to start me up. At this point I have a %100 survival on many corals and only 1 unexplained fish tragedy of out of 15 live and happy fish. My questions are about all these supplemental additives and chemicals I see on the shelves. I randomly add zooplankton and essentials both from Kent. But maybe because I read the label, like a woman with her wrinkle creams and miracle antiaging supplements, lol. Back to reality, iodine, calcium and what ever have you, are these good to ad or are they just a sales gimic.

Well to start, are you testing your calcium or any other parameters? They can be good to add if your tests are low. For most of us just doing water changes will keep them at manageable levels. The safest rule of thumb is to test for anything you are or are thinking about dosing, if not you could end up over dosing it.

many coral heavy tanks will require the use of 2 part solution, but I think beyond that most of it is snake oil, especially if you are doing regular water changes

And never, never NEVER dose anything you are not actively testing for

Im also using Marine salt, not a reef mix. Ill probably dose Essentials every two-three weeks when Im done with this bag.

Well I'm not testing anything other than the standard tests of a kit. I won't dose anything unless I test. Thanks again for your help. But is there anything you guys recommend me testing for? My corals consists of mainly mushrooms, pollup and Kenya trees. But I do have this red branch finger looking coral with little white flowers all over (feeders I guess) that one of the branches seem to be dying.

Just googled it is a red finger gorganian. Says I need iodine and calcium also says expert care but that's not what he told me when he sold me. Parameters are 8.1, 0, 0, 0

Iodine and calcium are in your salt mix already, the gorgonian still isn't using enough of it to where you'll have to dose your tank.

+1 Brian. Like North said, most tanks dont need dosing unless theyre stocked full. Youll be fine as long as it has enough light or flow, depending on if its SPS or NPS, respectively.

Back