advice and opinions wanted!

Rockyreiter

Reefing newb
alright, so I'm wanting to upgrade the filtration on my tank with a canister filter and a protein skimmer and i want some opinions...

i know that you can't get a good protein skimmer for cheap so ive made room in my budget for one that is AT MOST $150. i also don't have a sump, so id like one that just hangs on the back of my tank (40 gallon) does anybody have a good recommendation for a good protein skimmer that fits these requirements? if you own one like it, what do you think about it?
ive been looking at a Coralife Super Skimmer which is only $100, so if that one is ok it would be preferable
Coralife Super Skimmers - Needle Wheel | Coralife | Protein Skimmers | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com

the next is the canister filter.. i've priced them in stores and the're anywhere from 150 and up. now don't get mad, but ive done some research on this one filter also known as the "ebay filter.":frustrat: it's a Sunsun or Perfect brand from china (not sure if you've heard of it) and it's only around $55 after shipping (which is good for a college student who only has time to work during the summer:mrgreen:). i haven't found bad reviews about it (in fact, they've been surprisingly good). the biggest complaints were lack of instructions (that are easy to figure out) and how the inside baskets were a little snug. i think i could deal with that.
AQUARIUM FISH TANK EXTERNAL CANISTER POWER FILTER 100 G - eBay (item 300457921388 end time Apr-17-11 13:26:26 PDT)

any thoughts? don't hate please
:bowdown:

IMO your really wasting your money if you're buying the canister filter to use for filtration. But if you want it to run carbon or something every once in a while I guess it would be a good investment.

For the protien skimmer, I'd stay away from the coralife they're not that great. I loved my octopus HOB skimmer and you can find them for under $150 Hang on Back HOB Reef Octopus Protein Skimmers
It will be a little noisier then sump models but they work very well.

Believe it or not walmart.com sells the red sea prism hob skimmer.And in my opinion it will far outshine the coralife skimmer.Or like BL said the reef octopus skimmers are awesome.But a hob skimmer would be to loud if it was going to be in a bedroom.And + 10 for both ditch the canister filter spend the money on a better skimmer.On a 40 if you want to run carbon for 48 hours every two weeks to polish water buy a cheap hob filter like an aquaclear.you could also by cut to fit phospads if needed

on't waste your money on a canister filter. I had one when I first set up and quickly bought a skimmer and removed the canister. Take that extra $55 and invest more in the HOB fuge or buy some nice fish or cuc.

Believe it or not walmart.com sells the red sea prism hob skimmer.And in my opinion it will far outshine the coralife skimmer.Or like BL said the reef octopus skimmers are awesome.But a hob skimmer would be to loud if it was going to be in a bedroom.And + 10 for both ditch the canister filter spend the money on a better skimmer.On a 40 if you want to run carbon for 48 hours every two weeks to polish water buy a cheap hob filter like an aquaclear.you could also by cut to fit phospads if needed

:shock: this tank is in my bedroom... how bad is the noise from the skimmer?

i have the prizm deluxe and it works great, mine make little noise as long as you keep the cap on the chamber down tight and the little hose on right, would be perfect for a 40, you can find them really cheap on the internet, i bought mine for a little under $100 and its for 100gallon and its the deluxe

i have the prizm deluxe and it works great, mine make little noise as long as you keep the cap on the chamber down tight and the little hose on right, would be perfect for a 40, you can find them really cheap on the internet, i bought mine for a little under $100 and its for 100gallon and its the deluxe

+ 1 the noise is not that bad if you get the cup set down right.if you have ever had a bedroom tank before i'm sure you could deal with it.You can also build a silencer for the air intake if the noise bothers you

don't worry, im skipping the canister! is there anything else i could put in my HOB filter (top fin 60) that would work the same as the filter pads but be cheaper? im kinda tired of buying new ones all of the time. would LR work?

i just got done reading a lot of the reviews on the prizm protein skimmer... they arent very encouraging :( .. almost all of them point to the Remora hang-on as the slightly more expensive but much better alternative. the only down ive heard about the remora is the noise, and since i dont think ill get away from that with any of these skimmers i might just embrace noise or listen to music while i sleep :D

Back