Advice on algae scrubber

ph33nyx

Reefing newb
I'm going to be putting an algae scrubber on my brack tank. I've got all the parts except for the pump. The tank is a 55g and I'm currently running a Fluval 404 on it. What size pump should I be looking at for the scrubber (the Fluval is rated at 340 gph)?

35gph per inch of screen width is about right. You'll also want to calculate for head loss - you can use this calculator http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/hlc2.php but I don't think it lists the Fluval on there. I'd definitely error on the side of more GPH as you can always dial it down using a flow valve. The more flow the better for growing algae!

I found an adjustable one at a near by store rated 280-500gph. I presume the placement of the flow valve would be on the "out" side of the pump before it hits the screen?

35gph per inch of screen width is about right. You'll also want to calculate for head loss - you can use this calculator http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/hlc2.php but I don't think it lists the Fluval on there. I'd definitely error on the side of more GPH as you can always dial it down using a flow valve. The more flow the better for growing algae!

I would go find a reef calculator and make sure that what every pump you buy is going to have enough flow with head loss to power your scrubber. Also I would not get an adjustable pump. I would put in a valve on the pump return to adjust the flow rate.

Also the screen should be gravity feed, and then you use the pump to return the water from the collector to the tank.

Are you using an overflow box or pumping to the scrubber?
If you pump to the scrubber and have the return draining into the tank, I think it maximizes pods in the DT.

+1 on not buying an adjustable pump, just get a workhorse like the Mag 7 with no frills and dial it back after the outlet, never before.

Are you using an overflow box or pumping to the scrubber?
If you pump to the scrubber and have the return draining into the tank, I think it maximizes pods in the DT.

That requires the scrubber being higher than the tank though. One side of the plumbing has to be gravity feed. You can cant hook up two pumps in line, because they will never move exactly the same amount of water.

That requires the scrubber being higher than the tank though. One side of the plumbing has to be gravity feed. You can cant hook up two pumps in line, because they will never move exactly the same amount of water.

Absolutely. I was asking more about the set up, because it sounded like he was pumping to the scrubber. I think both ways work, just depends on the space you have.

My original thought was to gravity feed to the scrubber (utilizing a flow valve) and use the fluval to pump it back into the tank, but when I was looking at other peoples designs it appeared that there was a pump to the scrubber and then another pump back to the tank.

Last edited:
No, i think what you are seeing is an overflow box.

And i really think you are going to need a better pump than a fluval. I dont think you are going to get the right kind of flow with that, and flow is key to success with algae scrubbers

I've had one running for 9 months or so...I started my tank and cycled it with a scrubber and I love it. I read everything I could find on the subject (still do), and decided to try it this way, and glad I did.
Its not that I didn't want to buy a skimmer, it was more that I was really interested in how the scrubber works in a completely natural way, with the rest of the tank.
It did take me quite a bit of tinkering and adjusting with the flow, lights, design etc., so don't get discouraged.
And good luck to you!

There are several people on this site who run just a scrubber. I think you'll be just fine.
Yes
I've had one running for 9 months or so...I started my tank and cycled it with a scrubber and I love it. I read everything I could find on the subject (still do), and decided to try it this way, and glad I did.
Its not that I didn't want to buy a skimmer, it was more that I was really interested in how the scrubber works in a completely natural way, with the rest of the tank.
It did take me quite a bit of tinkering and adjusting with the flow, lights, design etc., so don't get discouraged.
And good luck to you!
Yes,,,i've only been running mine for a couple months and have noticed a lot of changes ....my trates are under 5,my shrooms and hammer and frogspawn look better than they ever did and the water is nice and clear....you won't regret building one.

This just all sounds too good to be true!
Now, everyone does realize that this is a brack tank and not pure sw, correct? Does this change anything?

Back